Can't connect to Roon Core - connection keep resetting

@support

Roon 1.5 323

Server: Windows 10, 16gb Ram (custom build server).
Wired network connection.

Remote/Bridge: macOS High Sierra / Android Phone.

Yesterday, the connection was fine.
Today, Roon keeps connecting and losing connection every 2-3s.
I can connect to server (via Remote Desktop) without any issues.

I restarted both computers - not change.

Hello @Adam_Dabrowski — Thank you for sharing your report with us!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide some additional information about the networking hardware and endpoints being used in your current setup using this link as a guide. Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Today, Roon keeps connecting and losing connection every 2-3s.

Just to clarify here, are your remote devices losing connection to your Core? Or are you trying to play music to an audio zone that plays for 2-3 seconds and then stops?

Along with the computers you rebooted already, I would also suggest rebooting any relevant networking hardware.

Is the Mac computer connected via WiFi? Is the experience any different if you use a wired connection?

-Dylan

Network:
VM Superhub 3 (100MB broadband).
Router -wire-> TP-Link hub -wire-> Music Server

Remote devices losing connection to the Core.
No playback possible (connection goes ON/OFF literally every to 2s)

Please check this video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19KfqjTqIkEjnOmoDAZpm4HUd5yGBCksf

Macbook is conneceted via WiFi (I can’t check wired connection but I can access Music Server/Files via Remote Dektop (WiFi) without any problems.

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski — Thanks for the additional information!

It doesn’t seem that the video you linked to has permissions set for me to be able to view it. Can you please update the share settings and link me to it again?

For next steps, I would like to dig a little deeper into your current networking setup and perform some tests related to that. In the past we have traced similar behavior to networking difficulties, so focusing on this path should help us pinpoint the root cause of the experience you’ve been having.

• Have you tried rebooting your network hardware? I would reboot everything, including all network hardware, and see if there is a change in behavior.

• What is the model of the TP-Link hub you mentioned?

Macbook is conneceted via WiFi (I can’t check wired connection but I can access Music Server/Files via Remote Dektop (WiFi) without any problems.

• Do you have another device that you could test with a wired connection to see if you have the same experience there? While I understand you are able to connect okay with remote desktop, WiFi may be under-performing when it comes to streaming music over the network, so testing out with a wired connection would definitely help!

Regards,
Dylan

please, try this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19KfqjTqIkEjnOmoDAZpm4HUd5yGBCksf/view?usp=sharing

Have you tried rebooting your network hardware? I would reboot everything, including all network hardware, and see if there is a change in behavior.

Yes, I tried.

What is the model of the TP-Link hub you mentioned?

It’s: TL-SG1005P

Do you have another device that you could test with a wired connection to see if you have the same experience there?

No, I don’t.

While I understand you are able to connect okay with remote desktop, WiFi may be under-performing when it comes to streaming music over the network, so testing out with a wired connection would definitely help!

It doesn’t stream music via WiFi… Server is connected via cable. Mac/Phone acts as “remote control”.
Also it worked fine yesterday (for over a year).

cheers,
Adam

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski — Thank you for the update.

Apologies on misunderstanding the streaming part. I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thank you,
Dylan

no worries.

17:22 (UK time)

Thanks! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-Dylan

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski — I just wanted to let you know that the logs have been received, and I’m going to pass them over to the team for review.

While they’re reviewing, could you do another test for me? Could you remote in to your Core machine, turn off any antivirus software or firewalls, restart Roon, and then try again and let me know if you’re still unable to connect?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan,

I don’t use antivirus or firewall on my server.

cheers!

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski — Thanks for the additional info.

Ok, so you’ve confirmed in Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall that the firewall state is listed as “Off”. Can you also ensure that there is no firewall active in your router’s settings?

When you remote in does Roon start up and allow you to play from there?

Thanks,
Dylan

Windows Defender and router’s firewall is OFF.

Remote can’t connect to the Core (goes ON/OFF).
I checked it on Mac and Android phone.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski

I apologize, I wasn’t clear in my last response. You mentioned before that you are able to use remote desktop to access the server computer. When you remote in via Remote Desktop, are you able to access Roon and play to your audio zones from the Core directly?

Thanks,
Dylan

OK, I just tried it and
the same problem persist.
connection goes ON/OFF (it can’t connect to the server even on the same computer) therfore I can’t play anything.

Thanks for testing that out, @Adam_Dabrowski!

For our next step, please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Once you send over the logs I will pass them along to the technical team for analysis.

Thanks,
Dylan

I just DM you @dylan

thanks

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thank you for your continued patience as we continue to troubleshoot this behavior. I spoke with the technical team regarding the diagnostics report, and we have some next steps we’d like for you to try:

• First, please check to see if the firmware for your router is up to date. Earlier this year there was a firmware update that we want to make sure you’ve received.
  • Next, let’s power cycle your Core machine and your networking hardware.
  • Once those have been rebooted, reinstall the remote application (not the Core).

After performing these steps, try connecting to the Core again from your remote device.

Regards,
Dylan

1 Like

First, please check to see if the firmware for your router is up to date. Earlier this year there was a firmware update that we want to make sure you’ve received.

Done (it was up to date)

Next, let’s power cycle your Core machine and your networking hardware.

Done

Once those have been rebooted, reinstall the remote application (not the Core).

Done (please, remember that both remote apps (Mac and Android) can’t connect.

Sadly, this didn’t help.

…it connceted!

then I checked RD and saw this error:

clicked OK and it won’t connect again…

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski — Sorry to hear you’re still experiencing difficulties!

I’ve looked into the error message and found some common causes that would be good for you to look into.

• Make sure that Windows is up to date.
  • Make sure all drivers are up to date.
  • This can often be caused by firewall or antivirus software running in the background. I know you mentioned you have all of that turned off, but just wanted to make a note of that here since it seems to be a common cause.

Can you also please verify the following for me:

• Has this error message only appeared once, or does it appear every time you try to run Roon?
  • Are there any other applications running in the background while you are using Roon?
  • If you check Event Viewer on your Core machine, do you see any related errors?

Thanks,
Dylan