Can't connect to RoonServer on Linux

Hi,

I just installed RoonServer on a Fedora 22 machine. Check.sh reports all OK and the install script reports success. Systemctl shows the service running, but no joy seeing it from the client on my Mac.

I have an instance of RoonServer on a Kubuntu virtual machine running on the same Fedora 22 box. That one works fine. Curious.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Carl

[root@Tux Downloads]# ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

Welcome to the RoonServer installer

This installer sets up RoonServer to run on linux with the following settings:

• RoonServer will be installed in /opt/RoonServer
  • RoonServer’s data will be stored in /var/roon/RoonServer
  • RoonServer will be configured to run as a system service
  • RoonServer will run as root

These settings are suitable for turning a dedicated or semi-dedicated device
into an appliance that runs RoonServer

If you want customize how RoonServer is installed, see:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

Do you want to install RoonServer on this machine? [Y/n] Y

Downloading RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to /tmp/tmp.KVftfRh6Mf/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

######################################################################## 100.0%

Unpacking RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2…Done

Checking to see if RoonServer can run on this machine

Checking for Binary Compatibility                            [   OK   ]
Checking for ALSA Libraries                                  [   OK   ]
Checking for ffmpeg or avconv                               which: no avconv in (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/carl/.local/bin:/home/carl/bin)

[ OK ]
Checking for the mount.cifs command [ OK ]
Testing ulimit -n 8192 [ OK ]

Copying Files…Done
Failed to stop roonserver.service: Unit roonserver.service not loaded.

Installing /etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service

Enabling service roonserver…
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/roonserver.service to /etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service.
Service Enabled

Starting service roonserver…
Service Started

All Done! RoonServer should be running on your machine now.

[root@Tux Downloads]#

root@Tux Downloads]# systemctl status roonserver.service
● roonserver.service - RoonServer
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2016-08-26 17:05:10 EDT; 2min 27s ago
Main PID: 7995 (start.sh)
CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service
├─7995 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh
├─7999 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe
├─8071 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.exe -watchdogport=59740…
├─8078 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 8071
└─8119 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

Aug 26 17:05:10 Tux systemd[1]: Started RoonServer.
Aug 26 17:05:10 Tux systemd[1]: Starting RoonServer…
Aug 26 17:05:10 Tux start.sh[7995]: Initializing
Aug 26 17:05:10 Tux start.sh[7995]: Started
Aug 26 17:05:15 Tux start.sh[7995]: Running
[root@Tux Downloads]#

I can’t see an error in the status.
So I’d start to check the networking basics.
Fedora 22 is not running in a vm, right?
Can you check the IP address of all relevant devices? Any firewall involved?

Thanks for the quick response!

No, the Fedora instance is on the hardware.

And yes, there is a firewall involved. I just stopped it and lo and behold: a connection.

Now the question becomes configuring the firewall to allow the connection. I vaguely remember seeing something that said that Roon uses a gizmillion noncontiguous ports. I’ll have to wait a while before I try to configure it because right now the collection is importing (it’s on another server) and I’ll need to turn the firewall back on to use the configuration tool or test if I use the conf files. Any idea how I should proceed when I am able?

-Carl

Yes, definitely the firewall.

Now, does anybody know the ports, so I can attempt to write a firewall rule?

It’s not a deal breaker if I can’t get the firewall sorted. That machine is already behind a firewall at the router and threats from inside my own network are minimal. But still …

I can remember that it was recommended somewhere to use an application layer firewall and to exclude RoonServer from it. But I can’t find the post where I have read about it…

Indeed.

Yeah. I have such a firewall on a Windows machine. You tell it the path of a program and anything that program calls for is okeedokey. That and 50 cents…, as they say.

firewalld, on the other hand, seems to be more of a “you tell me exactly what ports you want and that’s that” sort of affair. Bad news for a basically ignorant manpage and trial and error kind of guy like me. Especially since I don’t know the port ranges and I vaguely remember seeing a post here that said Roon wasn’t as simple as just specifying a port range anyway.

Hmmm. [shuffles off to see if there are any third party fancy firewalls for Linux…]

And…

A bit of Google searching reminded me that SELinux is the application layer firewall for Fedora. It’s there. It’s a PITA. And it’s not causing this particular problem.* It’s its counterpart that’s bedeviling me.

*I suspended SELinux right off the bat when Roon couldn’t communicate. Did no good. When I stopped firewalld, the problem vanished. Thus, I’m convinced that firewalld is the bad actor.