Can't find Audio devies [Resolved - Reinstall and restore backup]

If @wklie’s advice doesn’t help, I would -

1. Delete your current Roon installation. Delete everything including your Roon library. Follow the instructions here for finding all Roon related files
  2. Reinstall a fresh copy of Roon. As I remember, at install time you will be asked if you want to Restore your library. You can do it then or any time after the new Roon is up and running.

You will lose any changes you have made since your Backup, but those are probably gone now anyway…

Thanks XXX
I suspected from the start that I would need to do a re install
I can’t try Wilkis help as roon won’t start

I will give roon another go and see how much data I have lost ( Names etc I have amended and added artwork ) - if it fails it’s back to I tunes

Thanks

1 Like

Tagging @support, in case they have another, less destructive, solution.

Good luck.

I recommend you read the instructions again. It’s done after exiting from Roon.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Audio devices missing, Wake On LAN issue [Resolved]

did a destructive delete and re install ( could not see any other way around it )
and this is how my audio screen looks ( like it did yesterday morning )

Now I have to start rebuilding my database !!!
Life is too short for this stuff…

So…roon is back and luckily ( very luckily ) I had back up soon on 23.07 !!!
Would still like to know how this happened but I thank all those who responded and tried to help
Thanks

1 Like

Thank God, was seriously worried that this wasn’t going to end pretty…

I’m using Roon 1 3/4 years, tinkered around with RaspberryPi endpoints running Roon bridge on Diet-Pi and Ropieee operating systems, am using convolution and upsampling, usually shut down my core server over night, and fortunately never had any comparable problems - knocking on wood until knuckles hurt right now…

It happens because, in spite of Roon blaming hardware problems for a corrupted library, I suspect there is also at least one software bug that causes problems.

I’m betting that Roon software doesn’t take any checkpoints before undertaking a critical update on their database, and so if a problem occurs there is no way to back out (or even recognize) an incomplete operation.

Only an opinion.

Back up your library frequently and because of an inadequacy in Roon’s Backup logic, I recommend backing up to several locations on several schedules and with different retention periods.

No thats good advice - my room back up is somewhere different but no harm in doing more than one

Hi @Ray_Thomas

I’m glad you were able to get up and running here!

It’s hard to say exactly what happened at the moment, but it appears that your database got into a bad state. We’ve seen this happen for a few reasons like failing hardware, unstable power situations. Now that you’re up and running I definitely recommend continuing to make regular backups, and I’d also run some tests on your RAM and SSD to see if there might be any signs of them failing.

If you see any issues return please do let us know!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.