Can't Find Track Radio Option in Tidal

When I’m browsing my library & can “Start Radio” but that seems to just play tracks from my library.

When I’m in Tidal I can’t find this function (which is available from the Tidal desktop app)

To me this is one of the main selling points of Tidal - the ability to discover new music basing on existing favourites - how do I do this from Roon? @support

1 Like

Hey @Clive_Gidney,

Just to verify we are on the same page here:

Can you clarify what you mean above? Are you referring to viewing TIDAL content from Roon that is not in your library?

Thanks,
Dylan

@support

In Roon, when I select a track in my library I get a number of options: -
Play from Here
Play Now
Add Next
Queue
Start Radio - selecting this one plays the track & then Roon will play other tracks it considered similar but Roon chooses those track from my library - so I don’t get to hear any new music

Going to Tidal from within Roon & selecting a track I only get
Play from Here
Play Now
Add Next
Queue

NO TRACK RADIO option :frowning: How do I start track radio in Tidal from within Roon to discover new music?

Thanks for the clarification, @Clive_Gidney!

Currently our Radio feature is limited only to content that is in your library, whether it be local media or TIDAL content you have added. I’d like to recommend adding your voice to this Feature Request thread as our product and DEV team keep a close eye on this category. That’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Our CTO made a post about the “radio” function in Roon earlier this year which includes a lot of information about how Radio works and what we’d like to see in the future which can be found here.

Thanks,
Dylan

@support

This is a real deal breaker for me. Spotify can do it, Tidal can do it.

Roon claims to be a professional hi end piece of software to justify its $499 lifetime price, but if its not offering at least the features of its constituent parts, I’m not sure what anyone is getting for their money.

Bluesound can do it in their companion app & although you have to buy the hardware, the app is free.

The Tidal app is free, the spotify app is free, asset & minim servers have free options - why would I pay for Roon?

1 Like

Hey @Clive_Gidney,

Much of Roon is built around your library, and many of our most powerful features only work on the content inside your library. This includes Focus, Radio, Favorites, Tags, and so on.

In the future, we are hoping to expand some of these features (like Radio) to include non-library content, but for now much of the Roon experience is built around building and exploring a library of albums you love, whether the music lives on your hard drive or in your TIDAL account.

We understand that being able to use Radio features for non-library content is important to many for music discovery, and it is something that we would love to do soon. Unfortunately this isn’t something we can give specific timeframes for — There’s a lot to consider for an important new feature like this, and we want to make sure it’s done right.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you at the moment Clive, but for now, I’d encourage you to add the albums you love to your library and see how it works, and know that this is something we’re actively working on adding to Roon in the future.

Kind regards,
Dylan

@support

See above post - Any news on expanding the Roon Radio feature to include non-library content?

1 Like

I’d like to add my vote for this feature. It would be a really important one! It’s an excellent way to learn about new music. I’d propose this as a 2 or 3 way option:

1. [Library Radio] with content from local and Tidal library
  2. [Library & Discovery Radio] with content from local and Tidal Library + Tracks not in Library
  3. [Tidal Discovery Radio] ONLY with Tidal Tracks not in Library

Thanks for considering!