Can't get apple music/itunes over to nucleus+

You just add the folder that you have shared in your iMac. From your screenshot, this is presumably the folder called Music? And since this is a Mac, you use the smb form of addressing. So, the Network Address field would be:

smb://usrs-iMac-2.local/Music

3 Likes

SUCCESS!!!

I ran that addition this morning before leaving for work and the itunes library of playlists loaded into Nucleus and I played a couple of songs from a single playlist as a test. I will play with it some more this evening but I am cautiously optimistic. Thanks to all concerned for the hand holding and guidance.

1 Like

i spent more time and confirmed all of my iTunes playlists are now accessible, which is good. However, I can only reach them when both my nucleus plus and my iMAC are both turned on. When my computer which holds the original files is turned off, my ROON storage tab shows folder we added that was /Music but the message in red type reads:

“This directory is not available, Check the directory or edit this folder if it’s been moved”

Of course, when i power up the iMac this message disappears and the storage tab once again shows the folder has my 5000 tracks and my playlists are accessible and can be played through the ROON system

Is this a limitation of the system or is there a way that the Nucleus plus with the 4TB EVO SSD can have these files loaded directly on to it or on to some other device like a thumb drive plugged into the Nucleus Plus so that song access of these iTunes playlists will be available when my iMac is turned off-i am really trying to have the Nucleus Plus run this music as a stand alone since it is powered up continuously and leave the iMac off.

Hello @clyde_rickard, glad things are working! Yes, you have options for moving your files to Nucleus which you can check out here!

followed the KB through the process of formatting the internal drive already my system storage shows under folders the nucleus plus internal storage and below it that it is connected to users-imac.2.local\Music

but how do i get the songs from the iMac to the nucleus ssd

your KB says “After the format is completed, Roon will find this new storage as " Nucleus Internal Storage " (or “Nucleus+ Internal Storage”) in the storage tab of Settings”

that is not where I am at as far as I can tell and not sure how to copy music to the drive as your KB sys to visit network share and then
"From a Mac, enter this into the address field of the Mac Finder:

smb://NUCLEUS/Data/Storage/InternalStorage"

i tried that on the iMac and got nothing so maybe i have omitted some interim step???

Can you show a screenshot of your Settings/Storage screen?

with this set up as it is currently i can access my itunes tracks/playlists but only when both the nucleus plus and the imac are powered up --what i hoped to do is get the 4498 itunes tracks permanently moved on to the SSD of the Nucleus Plus so it can operate whether the imac is on or not

OK, so your Nucleus drive is formatted and ready to receive music files copied across from your iMac using the Mac Finder.

You quoted the address for a Nucleus (smb://NUCLEUS/Data/Storage/InternalStorage), but you have a Nucleus+. What happens when you use smb://NUCLEUSPLUS/Data/Storage/InternalStorage as the destination address in the Mac Finder?

nothing shows up maybe i am trying to use finder wrong but i go to that icon on the mac dashboard, open it and then paste that address into the search window and then nothing happens–

--screen shot to check

It’s a Network address - not an address in your iMac. I’m not a Mac user, but I would expect that you add the address under the Network location section. Perhaps a Mac user could chime in here?

Here is my system for what it is worth. I use iTunes to organize my music. I have a NUC Rock with a 4gb SSD. I direct the Roon Core to pull its music from the local SSD directories Music and SSD and DTS. When I load new music into iTunes I use a sync program to sync my SSD Music directory with my iTunes Music directory. SSD and DTS files I copy over manually since they don’t play well with iTunes. The advantage is that my NUC Rock can operate stand alone and also serves as one more backup of my music library in the event of a disk failure (I have a separate backup so that makes 3 and two portables that are stored off site). This system works for me.

what i am trying to achieve is getting iTunes library off my iMac and copied over to SSD in my nucleus plus so it will run music files as stand alone unit without having to pull files off the iMac which of course requires the imac to be powered up and running

how did you get you original iTunes library over on to your NUC SSD?

I assume you would follow the instructions here to add the Nucleus+ as a server, and then you can copy across your files to the SSD in the Nucleus…

Here’s what the path looks like in Windows 10 File Explorer. Just drop and drag into the InternalStorage folder using the MAC equivalent to Explorer. Mine is a Nucleus, not Nucleus+.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.