Can't open Roon: late 2012 Mac mini OS 10.13.1

I can’t get Roon to open! I am new to Roon after my friend in the Audio club recommended it. I have it downloaded on trial: I tried the terminal code trick many times and you can’t tell if the password went through. I checked the font and set it again to arial.
I have a late 2012 mac mini,16gb RAM, 256 gb factory SSD,8TB seagate external HDD, will be connecting to Modwright Oppo 105 “The Truth”.
I will be using my new HP Envy 2 in 1, i7 8th gen, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD Tablet/notebook for a remote.
Thanks for your help!
kim108

which installer did you use… ROON or ROON SERVER ?

Hi @Kim_Bothwell ---- Thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles!

Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please verify the following for me:

• Just to make sure we are on the same page here, based on your description of the issue it sounds like you weren’t able to login to Roon using the login credentials you had setup when applying for the trial, is this correct? OR is the application not launching at all?

• As asked in Wizardofoz’s post above, do you recall what software package you had downloaded from Roon website?

-Eric

It does not launch.

Roon server

Hi @Kim_Bothwell ----- Thank you for getting in touch and providing the requested feedback! Both are greatly appreciated!

Please do forgive me if you are already aware of this already but RoonServer will not have a graphic interface and will run as a process in the background of machine hosting your Roon core. Roon server is then meant to be controlled by another device acting as a Roon remote, is this the type of configuration you are looking to run in your setup?

-Eric

Knowledge Base: RoonServer

I followed this proceedure:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Installing_Roon#Installation_Errors_on_OS_X

it is a bit “iffy” that when I cut and paste the code mentioned when it then shows “password:” that it accepts the password for the Mac mini.

@Kim_Bothwell ---- The behavior cited in the link you provided is the following:

"On occasion, Roon may not have the correct permissions to run on OS X. If you attempt to launch Roon and the icon bounces but Roon never opens, your permissions may not be set up correctly.

Being as you have installed RoonServer on the mentioned MacMini you will not be seeing an ICON in the dock, the process is going to be running in the background and as such you should be seeing the Roon icon in the top right hand corner of the screen as seen here on my test core:

11%20PM

I would recommend (if you have not already) giving the Knowledge Base article I posted above a read as it explains in detail how RoonServer is designed to work.

-Eric

thank you for that clarification. After a very few hiccups it’s up and running.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.