Can't Open Roon on Mac Mini

Hi,
I just decided to give Roon a try. Using a Mac Mini late 2014 with a 2.8 GHz processor, 8 Gb memory, running Mohave.
I can’t get Roon to open. The icon bounces on the dock and then stops, then nothing. I tried the problem solving suggestions–no firewall, gave Roon permission to run my computer, and went to the terminal to try entering the code you suggest. Nothing.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

What software did you install, Roon or Roon Server?

If it’s Roon Server, you should see a Roon icon at the top right of your desktop.

If you did install Roon Server, you will need to install Roon as well and run it as a Remote.

Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

I was offered what appeared to be a download package for Mac, so that’s what I downloaded. When it failed to launch, I returned to the download site, scrolled down and tried downloading the Mac content again, which I noted did not separate the Roon components–it offered all of them together. My download folder showed that I now had another copy of what I’d downloaded before.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Hi Michael,

What are the two Roon icons called in your download folder? How far did you get when you clicked on the downloaded Roon software icon?

Do you have any antivirus software or firewall running on your Mac?

I’m going to tag @support to help out.

Cheers, Greg

Hello @Michael_GuntherMaher,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. Have you tried rebooting your PC after installing Roon? I would try to open the App again once you have rebooted the system to see if that helps.

Are you by any chance trying to run Roon from the .dmg file instead of installing it as per this thread?

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi,
I rebooted my Mac mini, but the results were the same.
The downloaded Roon folder is called Roon.dmg.When clicked it presents a box that shows Roon.app and the usual arrow pointing to the App folder.
Thanks for your help.
Michael

Can you please try force quitting Roon and then starting it again as mentioned in this post?

Other than that, clearing out your Roon Database Location and then trying the reinstall again would be my next suggestion. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

I’ve now tried the above suggestions. After eliminating prior Roon folders I again downloaded Roon from the software page, but it again failed to run. I welcome other suggestions. Otherwise I need to give up on this until I eventually replace my Mini (no current plans for that as it works perfectly fine with everything else). Thanks once again for your help.
Michael

Thanks for confirm that for me. I believe your permissions for Roon may need to be adjusted for it to launch properly, please follow the instructions listed here and let me know if this works:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Installing_Roon#Installation_Errors_on_OS_X

Thanks,
Noris

I tried these suggestions. The arial font was already on. I used the phrase on “terminal” (again). Roon still won’t open. Firewall is “off”. And I’ve given Roon permission to run my mini.
Sounds like we’re out of options.
If I won’t be able to use it, can you make sure I’m not charged for Roon after the 2-week trial?
Thanks,
Michael

Can you please verify that you have typed in your OSX password after posting that command? You don’t necessarily see the password field show up when you type it and just wanted to confirm this info.

At this point you'll be asked to type in your password -- note that you may not see anything as you type. That's expected, so just type the password correctly, hit enter, and you're done! Try to run Roon again, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Noris

Yes, I typed in my computer’s password. It was not displayed. After pressing “enter” I got a message that my password was not valid, and I typed it in again and pressed enter. I had already rebooted the mini after dumping the earlier Roon files.
Thanks,
Michael

I have two more things I want to verify here as this is very strange behavior as the Roon app should work on your computer:

1. You are not trying to run the Roon app directly from the .dmg file, correct? As in you have dragged it and dropped it into the Applications folder and are trying to run it from there?

2. Does this behavior still occur with a new user account on your OSX? If it opens properly with a new user account then this issue is likely permissions related and we can take a closer look.

Please let me know if those two suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris