Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity UniFi Secure Gateway

Connected Audio Devices

Audioengine D1 DAC, USB
AirPort Express, WiFi
Sonos Move, WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When I first installed Roon, playback of local media worked fine on both my Macbook, USB DAC, Sonos Move and iPhone using the Roon Remote app. Today I imported a few thousand tracks and I’ve been listening to them all day while on the road via Roon ARC app on iOS - everything has been working perfectly.

By local media I mean a folder on my Synology NAS that also runs my Roon Server on DSM 6.

Then I got home and now no local media will play through Roon on my Macbook or the Roon Remote app on iOS. The Roon ARC app still works just fine and plays all local media I request.

I can also plan Tidal tracks in Roon just fine, but local media doesn’t work. It just stays at 0:00 and nothing happens.

I tried restarting Roon Server on the Synology as well as restarting my Macbook but nothing helps. No error messages or anything else, nothing. Sometimes the Playback bar shows a loading animation forever, sometimes it shows the volume of the song, but still nothing plays. Again, ARC app on iOS works fine, so the files are definitely available.

Not sure how to debug this. I don’t see any logs anywhere. Also checked system logs but found nothing. Hope someone can help.

Synology removed the ability to play AAC files from its Operating System. You have to load the required backend protocols yourself. See…

1 Like

That worked, thanks a lot!

I had to upgrade to DSM7 and install the latest version of RoonOnNas, because the version I had with DSM6 did not have a RoonOnNas/bin folder as far as I could tell.

So for future reference here were the steps I had to take:

1. Upgrade Synology DSM to version 7.
  2. Install Roon Server (RoonOnNas) version 20220216 (or later).
  3. Download latest ffmpeg release binary here.
  4. Put ffmpeg binary in /volumeUSB1/usbshare/RoonOnNAS/bin.
  5. Restart Roon.
  6. Enjoy all my old AAC files through Roon.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.