Can't stream TIDAL MQA files beyond 30 seconds

Thanks again for getting back to me. Using Google and Cloudflare DNS makes no difference, neither does using system output. They all exhibit the same behaviour. I’m going to go back to my original core machine, reinstall ROON, and to satisfy AnyR’s curiosity (and mine!), I’ll play a local high res file to see what the network traffic looks like.

I reinstalled an instance of ROON server on my original 2012 Mac Mini hardwired to my router, usb connected to my dac, and reloaded the library backup. My local library is on an external HD connected to the Mac Mini via firewire. I have no other endpoints available apart from the USB dac and no other devices available on my network aside an iPad that I temporarily used as a remote to select and play local tracks.

I fired up local CD quality tracks from my iPad remote and then shut the iPad down. This is what my network traffic looks like from the Mac Mini:

If this is how ROON is designed to work, I’ll leave it at that and continue using my workarounds for streaming TIDAL Masters. If this is not normal behaviour, I’m willing to do what it takes to get to the bottom of it.

Correction to the last post. I unknowingly had DSP active. After removing all DSP, network traffic fell to about 225-250 KB/sec in and out.

You do have another option to play thru the other Mac mini…as an endpoint if you wanted to do so.

If you stop roon and shut it down as an app, do you still see any outbound data? Maybe it’s macOS traffic? Maybe try not using the iPad to access as remote and just use the local roon on the Mac.

The DSp wouldn’t generate any additional outbound traffic…but if it is then maybe roon can explain what it’s happening here. I could see a remote control point using some tho.

I know, this is not my normal configuration. I simplified it down to basics for troubleshooting purposes. That’s how I usually run my setup, with the server on the Mac Mini (when I’m running it headless, which is 99% of the time) and Roon as a remote on the same machine and Roon remotes on my other computers and tablets, but I wanted to have just the server installed on the Mac Mini to start and add components later if everything went well. The iPad was just used as a remote to start playback and then promptly turned off, so it wasn’t available as an endpoint when I took the screenshot above. In the Roon settings, my usb dac was the only available endpoint. I deactivated all the others, even the iPad (which can still be used as a Remote even if it is not available as an endpoint).

Update time. I went nuclear and wiped my Mac Mini 2012 hard drive and installed Mojave. I then installed Roon and have been streaming MQA Masters glitch free for the past 30 minutes (and in prime time internet volume!). I’m so happy right now. Thanks to everyone who was willing to look into this with me. @support you can considered this problem resolved.

3 Likes

Hi @SlowJazzHand,

Thank you for the update here and glad to hear that updating to Mojave resolved the streaming issue!

I did want to mention one other minor thing here:

I was originally not aware of this aspect, and this detail it explains the outbound traffic that you were previously seeing.

Since you are running both RoonServer and Roon Remote on the same machine,a similar amount of download/upload data sent is to be expected.

This is because Roon is communicating via the Core’s localhost network connection and it is streaming it to the Roon Remote side (on the same machine).

In either case, happy to hear you’re up and running with the new OS and thanks again for contacting us regarding this issue!

2 Likes

That’s good to know, I’ll just stick to the all in one Roon application and dispense with the server for now. Masters are still streaming beautifully!

1 Like

Great news!

1 Like

Interesting…I guess the local loopback? is still considered ethernet traffic in the metering process.

Do note that the server version will give you less internal overhead on the Mac/pc if you normally run headless.

Everything is running beautifully right now for the first time since TIDAL started streaming Masters. I’m NOT changing a damn thing. :laughing:

3 Likes

Cool. Glad that all worked out! :sunglasses:

Andy

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.