Can't use global search to find my Dead shows, but filter in Tracks works

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

I’ve also been curious about this - I’m not sure if this is related in any way, so apologies in advance to Eric as it wasn’t my intent to hijack your thread - As one of those Deadheads with 100’s (1000’s?) of concert recordings, the search never seemed to have worked the same as with a ripped CD? I don’t use the ‘Bootleg’ flag - I do have a specific genre ‘GD’ for the Dead shows, and ‘lur’ for other band’s ‘live unreleased recordings’…

for example, if I do a search by title whose album tag is 'gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16’ it doesn’t ’ return what I’d expect:

However, if you do the search from the album field in ‘My Library \ My Tracks’ it finds it fine:

I understand that these aren’t official releases, and we might expect a different behavior, I’m just trying to figure out what’s it doing - or maybe what I’m not doing, as the case may be - thanks,

Hey now @Peter_Gallagher,

I moved your post into its own thread as your issue is a bit different than the other report. Please fill out the template I added to your post, those details will help us determine a starting point for troubleshooting. I’ll be back soon to take a look at your details.

Right off, however, I suspect that the characters in the album naming convention you’ve used for your soundboards are the cause of your troubles.

general search not finding titles of certain noncommercial releases - However, within ‘My Tracks’ when searching for the album title field, album is returned.

Thanks, please let me know if you need anything else -

Thank you for the added details @Peter_Gallagher. I agree that this doesn’t seem to be working as intended.

If you use the filter function on your Albums Page does that work also, or does it only work on your My Tracks page?

I’ve reached out to our search developer with your report. I’ll be back in touch as soon as I have an update from him. :skull: :rose: :v:t2:

I have a few hundred Dead shows in my library (FLAC rips).
Using search is futile when looking for shows as Roon just won’t bring the library contents up. Endless spinning, hanging or no scrolling.
If I use the filter option, it returns the library content as I type and is 100% smooth.
It’s always been like this.

Hi Jamie,
yes - it does find it with the filter from ‘My Albums’
I’ve been messing around with it a bit, and I think you may be on to something with your comment:

Right off, however, I suspect that the characters in the album naming convention you’ve used for your soundboards are the cause of your troubles.

As if I search for a show with the Album title Tag of : ‘1985-04-07 Spectrum Philadelphia, PA’ it finds it fine in the general search…

Thanks for the update -

Hey @Peter_Gallagher

I work in search at roon and hopefully, I can help.

Could you clarify what do you mean exactly by “album tag”? I’d just like to remove any ambiguities. The library search index contains only some metadata from the files, but not all of them.

I’ve renamed one of my random albums, and have managed to find it also with the punctuation, so I’m not exactly sure where gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16 is stored in your case. If you can send me privately one of the files, I can try to find out what’s exactly causing the issue.

Is search working at all for you? Are you using roon with a remote? I think it’s worthwhile if you open another ticket and describe your issue in detail, since it seems noticeably different from what Peter is experiencing.

Regarding library content not popping up, this issue should have been addressed with the latest release. Have you had a chance to update roon recently? If so, you can try to “favorite” one of these albums, and then search them, they should pop up higher. If they don’t appear at all, regardless of how you search for them, there might be a bug worth fixing, in which case I’d be grateful to you if you describe the issue as well in another post and tag me.

Thanks Zenit,
I’ll send you a file - maybe these screens would help as well?

It’s what ever tag Roon uses for ‘Album’ in the my tracks search:

from a tag editor:

and from the file:

1 Like

Search only struggles with my Dead library. It works fine on everything else.
Edit to add - as stated above, filter works very smooth on the same Dead library, so I just use that. Gets me to the same place.

2 Likes

I’ve used the file you sent me, and can’t reproduce the issue at the moment.

(there’s lots of stuff there that shouldn’t appear, but that’s another problem)

It’s possible that there was/is an error when adding the track/album to the search index in your roon core. If you search just by the name “grateful dead beat it”, does the track from your library show up among the results?

I’ll check, but it may be hard to tell - I have over 400 versions of that song - so it may be in there somewhere among the returned results :grinning: …I tried adding a filter after the search of the Album Title ‘gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16’ but it didn’t find it.

I tried a search with ‘Grateful Dead It’s a Sin’ which was played at that show, but is a song performed much less frequently, and has the same Album Title tag as Beat it on down the Line - it did find it. When you add the filter of ‘gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16’ after the search, I get what I believe would be the expected results:

The filter functionality that you used here is a separate feature and doesn’t use the same index internally.

If you do something like this

…and still not find the album/track, there was for sure an issue indexing the data.

I know this sounds like an IT cliché, but does a restart help? If not, I’d have to have a look at your logs.

I rebooted the NUC the core is on and tried that search - Searching for 89690 did return the album - that seems good - !

After selecting the top return, and looking at the dropdown of the recent searches, I see the below… Selecting on the first one I get Rachmaninoff as the top result; selecting on the second one - the one that says ‘album’ I get the actual correct album - I’m assuming that one is the result of the search for 89690.

Creating a new search with ‘gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16’ sends us back to Rachmaninoff… I kind of get it - there is only one album with 89690 in the title, but there many titles which include the other remaining elements -Its just odd that it can’t find the whole string of gd74-06-18.sbd.miller.89690.sbeok.flac16 from the general search…

please let me know if you need anything else
thank you for your help with this!

hey guys -
here’s another example of the search not working just exactly perfect:

when searching for the album title:
1982-07-28 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

we get this:

it does find it, but I feel like it should be returned as the ‘Top Result’. I’m not really sure why those other items are included when they don’t include the 8 from the 28 but I’m sure you guys have hashed out what you want returned in your selects - I think it would be fine returning those other albums as long as for the ‘Top Result’ an item from the library with an exact match gets selected. I understand things get a little fuzzier when there’s multiple items with a like title, but in our examples this is not the case. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

Hey @Peter_Gallagher,

Thanks for getting back in touch and Happy late Jerry Day! I’ve tagged @zenit so he can take a look at your latest message. Also, I noticed that this thread had closed earlier this morning and reopened it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. It definitely should be the top result given the match. In general, given their frequency, numbers get a super low value, so there might be some other factors pushing the other one mildly ahead. This kind of issue is on the radar.

thanks for the response - I understand the search is a complex tool - is it looking at the numbers and is returning them in descending order? :

1982-07-29 Top Result
1982-07-28
1982-07-27

…thinking that 1982-07-29 is the the most recent ‘version’ of the title (not a date) or something? -
Regardless, it kind of boggles the mind that when searching on an exact match of a single title within a library - regardless of other ‘factors’ - ROON doesn’t determine (yet) that’s its the Top Result.

Would there ever be a situation where an exact match on a single title in a library not be the Top Result? My head is sort of spinning around trying to think of one could be and I haven’t been able to come up with a situation -

I did a little test and changed the title of 1982-07-28 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

to: 1982/07/28 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO.

This result is exactly what I’d expect from the search… I also changed the other 2 shows from that run

1982-07-29
1982-07-27

…replacing the the dash - with a slash / and now Roon doesn’t return any else when searching for the 28th - which I feel is correct return.

Anyway, keep up the good work - I appreciate the update - Please let me know if you need any more examples - and please keep us posted with what you find out -
thanks,
pbg

No, it doesn’t sort based on the numbers. It treats them like any other word.

Assuming you just have an album in your library that isn’t on streaming services, not set as your favorite, and there’s an album on qobuz/tidal that is also an exact match and being super popular it would probably be ranked higher. Mind you, there’s no notion of “exact” match at the moment, there are variations that could/should be considered as such. Either way, I agree it’s a missing piece for getting more satisfying results.

• 1982-07-28 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO
  • 1982-07-28 red rocks amphitheater, morrison, co
  • 1982 07 28 red rocks amphitheater morrison co
1 Like