Capacity limitation in Roon?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 PC, Roon Version 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
LaCie NAS, Coctail Audio X45

Description Of Issue
I have the general question of whether there are capacity restrictions with ROON regarding the amount of data? Currently my music database contains nearly 5TB of data. That’s about 16,000 albums with around 170,000 tracks. The database is growing up continuously. Will I come to a point where ROON can no longer process the amount of data? How high is the limit in data that ROON can still process without any problems.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

1 Like

Hi Thedo,

I am confused what you are asking…

Are you asking in general?

Then: Roon can accommodate a lot with the appropriate hardware. At some point, you will need more RAM and faster processor. I know of people running Roon with well over a million tracks

Are you asking about your specific hardware setup?
Then: you might need to detail the specs of the device running your core.

1 Like

Hi @Thedo_Roes,

There is no firm limit to the number of tracks, but larger libraries can definitely be more demanding on hardware. If things are running fine now you shouldn’t have much to worry about without a significant increase in the number of tracks, but eventually you may need more processing power or RAM depending on what your current specs are.

Hi Daniel and Dylan,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. My asking was about the limit in general, that’s right.

It is very good to hear that there is no firm limit to the number of tracks. I think it will take a little more time and much work to get around a million of tracks :grinning:. I have been using ROON for 2 years now and so far I have only edited or digitized a quarter of my music collection (digital and physical). With this it is actually possible to achieve about one million tracks running with ROON one day.

If it should be necessary to get more processing power or RAM, this is certainly not the problem.

With your answers you have made my decision easy to change now to a lifetime subscription.

Thanks again for your answers. Best regards, Thedo

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.