Cars ... another expensive hobby

What were we originally talking about?

Is this ā€˜moderating to the extremeā€™?
Why have you moved these posts @Carl? I know they were ā€˜off-topicā€™, but they formed part of a conversation! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Canā€™t have conversations here, only praise Roon, file a feature request, provide first line support or argue about Ethernet cables and switches :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

Not in my opinion, if it had been just a few posts I would have left it be ā€¦ but now itā€™s significant enough to distract from the original topic ā€¦ and warrants its own space.

Both topics are linked and the conversation about cars can continue ā€¦ more the better ā€¦ Iā€™m a petrol head myself ā€¦ and a pilot (but only gliders) though did have a little training in helicopter for a while.

1 Like

Morning @evand still taking the grumpy pills ā€¦ enjoy :wink:

This forum is actually very lightly moderated, but certain users seem to attract the attention of the mods are Roon admin more than others. At the end of the day itā€™s always a balance ā€¦ and it is impossible to please everyone.

1 Like

@evand loves being moderated, stokes the :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Music is wonderful but sedentary. Need to be moving.

7 Likes

Hereā€™s something you could usefully split into a separate topic to save it from drowning in 12 bit nonsense.

Perhaps title it Great Hi-Fi stands.

And no, donā€™t need to take grumpy pills all the ingredients I need are usually right here in ample supply.

Ironically I got into ā€œhigher endā€ (than I had before, I guess) audio because my BMW had better sound than my study.

Funny story. A friend and I were visiting his girlfriend at NAU one winter. They got in an argument and he drove his convertible mustang to the grand canyon that night. Next day he tried to drive back, but all the freeze plugs blew out. It was 19F that night. He got a ride back to NAU and the following day we attempted to hitchhike back to his car for repairs. Itā€™s illegal to hitchhike in AZ. We both got tickets and never made it to the canyon. I never paid mine. Iā€™m still wanted in AZ :grimacing:

2 Likes

After I had to ditch the Sprite, I hitchhiked back to Phoenix from Flagstaff.

But that was in 1972.

Never see a hitchhiker, anymore.

My escapade was in 1970. Maybe I saw you there :wink:

1 Like

Hifi was my first serious hobby but road racing cars consumes far more $ these days.

5 Likes

I have a rather nondescript Mazda MX-5 (Miata to those of you across the pond). They are often referred to as hairdressersā€™ cars here in the UK. Mine, however, has 375bhp and 355ft.lb torque :slight_smile:. The body and seats are probably the only things left on it that came out of the factory; it costs me a fortune, but itā€™s worth every penny when yet another BMW or Audi disappears in the rear view mirror.

1 Like

Sunbeam Tigers were good for that also.

1 Like

I had a BMW Z3 that I traded in on the Mustang. I had no intentions of drag racing, but one thing led to another and so it goes. Itā€™s a lot like this high res music hobby.

Those Z3s were some great cars. I had an ā€˜02 M Roadster with the S54 engine. The torque curve is so flat with that engine. A lot of cars Iā€™ve owned since have been faster ā€œon paperā€ but none of them have felt as fast as that little roadster.

Mustangs are in a different league, though, as soon as you get the upgrade itch. If we were smart, weā€™d all just be racing Mustangs and Miatas. Anything else and youā€™re just being stubborn. Youā€™re totally right, many aspects of racing rhyme with the the high res music hobby. Excuse me while I go double-blind test some new plug wires.

A nice exhaust note is music to my ears.

I absolutely love my Jag (F-Type R). And the Meridian Sound System isnā€™t bad, eitherā€¦ :grinning:

13 Likes

You live in Germany and you bought a Jag? Nice cars though. My weekender is a modded STR.

1 Like

@evand
I was born in the UK. :wink: