Cars ... another expensive hobby

I love my aviation friends. They make the expense of my road racing hobby seem reasonable.

3 Likes

Awesome Jim! :money_mouth_face: What a rush!

1 Like

I’ve been 205.07 mph in 1/4 mile.

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

:grimacing:

They are actually right.

I always take the others advantage, swear if they drive slowly! Do use two parking lots to avoid bumps in the doors …

And yes, I’m driving fast German cars.

2 Likes

I have two cars, a 4.2L supercharged V8 and a diesel pickup. I enjoy driving both, but fair to say I’m a completely different driver in the two. The former sometimes akin to the chap you described.

2 Likes

ModularPowerhouse

My little 1000 hp Mustang GT with 281 cubic inch, 2 valve stroked to 302, with 2.8 Kenne Bell blower and 100 shot of nitrous. Ran 9.15 @ 151 mph 1/4 mile.

15 Likes

I gave up my fast car about 5 years ago, but the new crop of 500+ hp cars are quietly calling to me. Must - resist - temptation.

I sold mine several years ago after 6 engine rebuilds. Squeezing 1000 hp out of 281 cubic inches doesn’t do much for longevity or cost. Retirement factored into that also.

Only one blown engine for me, but I bored and stroked mine from 3.6L to 3.9L when I did the rebuild. Half your horsepower, but I do a lot more turning than you did. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Turning? What’s that? My friend raced vintage sports cars here in US. He did really well in his Huffaker MGB.
unnamed

7 Likes

Great man!!!

That pushes you into the seat!

We’re so far off topic… At least Lucas Electric doesn’t make ethernet switches. :slight_smile: My current project car is a '60 Frogeye.

6 Likes

But so much more enjoyable :smile:

3 Likes

But not as much as this…

1 Like

I had a '59. Bought for $150 in 1972.

I knew it wouldn’t last. Eventually, had to leave it by the side of a Flagstaff, AZ. road.

Tremendous amount of fun to drive, at least for awhile.

:cry:

Like the license plate (I just had another patent issued this month).

Speed limit? What’s a speed limit? I live in Germany… :joy:

5 Likes

Wow! What great pictures! Awesome Jim :grinning:

1 Like

It’s like being down the pub on a Friday night with mates :+1:

4 Likes