Melco £1999 ethernet switch

Everyone has their personal pain threshold. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you Mike.
I just think that’s important, in this discussion, to appreciate that different people have different ‘takes’ on value.
In my own case, my sources are a Linn LP12/Radikal/Keel/Ekos/Adikt/Uphorik, a Linn Klimax DS/3, an Esoteric K-01X BH, and a Chord TT2/M Scaler.
In total, my spend on sources in my system is the equivalent of approximately $70k. Is this crazy? Probably to many people. But as I say, ‘value’ is very subjective.
With reference to this thread, maybe £2k for a network switch isn’t so crazy after all? Personally, I think it is crazy. But I’m sure some people would pay double that. So maybe definitives about price and ‘value’ are irrelevant?

2 Likes

:+1:
Totally agree!

This is a very good example

You spend billions for your system. In this case it is perfectly ok, if you say. I like the switch, the cable, it looks much better in my “picture”.

I only have a problem with pseudo scientific explications why you must have a cable that costs a million.

I like it, I want it, I can afford it. This is a perfect reason.

The same reason why I drive an expensive car.

5 Likes

As a follow on to my previous post, I’m sure every single one of us here has spent money on audio gear for non-audio reasons. Even the most hard-core objectivist might, for example, pay $20 extra to get a device in silver instead of black because it looks better in their AV rack.

Even if someone believes that your $20k Linn streamer provides no audible improvement over a Raspberry Pi, the value dynamic is the same. Despite the fact that the dollar amount is three orders of magnitude higher, the fundamental value equation is the same. If you think someone is crazy for spending $20k “too much” on a streamer, then the logically consistent position is to think someone is equally crazy to spend $20 “too much” for a silver faceplate.

If someone only objects to the first one but not the second one, then it’s time to re-examine their biases. There’s some other factor at play. :slight_smile:

Full disclosure – I spent $100 on my Ropieee streamer but I have $10k worth of network switches in my house. I don’t believe that the network switches provide any audible improvement over a $50 Netgear, though.

1 Like

I’ve spent $3,000. That’s plenty.

I did spend $100,000+ drag racing and $100,000+ flying airplanes.

[Moderator Edit] For details and further discussion on cars check out Cars … another expensive hobby

2 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: Cars … another expensive hobby

I want to be able to spend $2K on a switch.

1 Like

My car is worth about the equivalent $6k. And I wouldn’t want it any other way.
The concept of ‘Value’ and as it pertains to the individual is very, very, very subjective…

2 Likes

I drive a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with 170,000 miles on it. It’s a great car. My wife drives a new Honda. My goal is to own nothing, but cash, bonds, and CD’s (plus a few clothes). And, I don’t mean CD’s that play music.

1 Like

:flushed: What amplification and speakers are at the receiving end of all that?

They feed a Linn Klimax Kontrol, and then two Linn C4100’s, supplying ‘Aktiv’ Linn Majik 140’s and a Majik126.
The system is a bit ‘source heavy’, but it makes music. That’s all that matters :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m sure it sounds good. No reason it wouldn’t.

1 Like

I sometimes think about listening to a set of Akubarik’s, but I’m just so happy with the 140’s that it never happens? Probably not a bad thing!? :roll_eyes:

Wise words…

Interesting…
I’d love to hear more? Why did you choose to spend $10k on network switches?

Nope, but if you do it will likely cost you money. After the room, speakers are the biggest influence on what you do or don’t get out of the equation.

1 Like

I think it’s fine to spend as much as you want for whatever reason as long as you can afford it and aren’t depriving your spouse and/or kids and are also doing your fair share of helping others.

1 Like

Absolutely :+1:

I agree.
But I do ‘fantasise’ about ‘trading the wife in’ occasionally. She thinks an Amazon Echo sounds good enough :persevere:

2 Likes