Cars ... another expensive hobby

My Wintercar:

Maximum speed is 285 km/h. The closest German motorway is only 10 minutes from home.

Almost forgot: Soundsystem is from Harman/Kardon.

3 Likes

Not as wild as some of you - we have an Audi SQ5 - the North American petrol engine version (actually our 4th one). Great all-rounder and the B&O sound system is fantastic. Oh, and you can squeeze a bale of hay in the back when you need to :laughing:

My tow vehicle is a Cayenne Diesel (with Burmester audio). Itā€™s such a great platform, shared with the Audi and VW. Handles better than youā€™d expect on the racetrack too.

1 Like

Mineā€™s slow.

1958 MGA 1500 Roadster, now with fresh 1963 MGB 1800 3-main engine.

14 Likes

My brother had a new 1958 MGA, British Racing Green.

1 Like

Cars an expensive hobby? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
My wife couldnā€™t agree more!

7 Likes

Currently towing with a 2013 Touareg Diesel - wish I had Dynaudio upgrade.

Leaning toward a 2019+ Cayenne hybrid as the next tow/daily-driver.

Nice. Which track is that?

MSR Houston, counter-clockwise.

1 Like

Do you street it also, or is it just for the track?

I need to do an HPDE again soon. I used to track my Cayman GTS quite a bit, but just havenā€™t had the time recently.

Weā€™ve owned seven Z cars (4 new, 3 used), two BMWs (one new, one used, both 5s), a (junker) Austin Healey Sprite, several spirited Datsun 510s, a 66 Mustang, a 69 Chevy Caprice (gofast 427 4 barrel), two Priusā€™ (Priis?) several Ford Explorers, and now two Rav4s. Weā€™re older now and all grown up. We just want comfortable, reliable, not too expensive transportation. Lusting after a Shelby Mustang, though.

1 Like

All that money and it only lasts 6 sec? Bummer. Iā€™ll stick to road racing. :racing_car:

Yep, around $167 per second.

1 Like

US$87K for a Subaru Outback here in Singapore depending on COE priceā€¦you guys in the states have it easy.

We also have two German cars, a Mercedes GLS 400 D and an Audi S6 Avant (our family cars). But my Jag is definitely my favourite ā€œmeans of transportā€ā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

You guys pay virtually no tax, so it all evens out in the wash.

I wish 17-30% is not virtually no taxā€¦plus we have GST at 7% on top of all that. Fuel not cheap either.

Nice Rivvie, @Riviera_Bluesman. Iā€™ve always wanted a '65, but have no garage to store any ā€œfunā€ cars in. I suspect there is a black first-gen Riviera under the rack thereā€¦

1 Like

Your suspicion is confirmed :slightly_smiling_face:. Not Black, but a ā€œMidnight Blueā€ over white ā€˜65 Gran Sportā€¦

3 Likes

Canā€™t compete with any of the stuff here.

However, just because of my age, I bought a '67 Pontiac GTO (Tri-power) off a used car lot in 1968.

Price was $1600.

While Iā€™m at it, from the If-I-Knew-Then-What-I-Know-Now department -

In 1965, a farmer down the street had 10 Indian motorcycles stored in his barn, all running. He wanted $20 a piece. Pop wouldnā€™t pop for one for me.

Finally, off topic, but in the same department, I bought Spiderman Issue #1 off the comic book rack at Rexalls and threw it away after I had read it.