Cat 8 Ethernet Cables?

Curious if there is anyone using Cat 8 cabling in their network system and seeing any benefit from it.

Regards,
Sonnie

Maybe if you had an office full of people sharing a single ethernet connection.

I use Cat5e on my network without any issue. Sound quality incredible.
Nope, I haven’t tried Cat 8 either.

No need for Cat 8 in a home system. In fact, you could experience issues using Cat 8. Use Cat 5e UTP or Cat 6a UTP.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on issues, as I know of someone using Cat 8 in their home without any issues.

Regards,
Sonnie

I think it’s to do with the shielding on the cable and ground loops etc… It just not necessary anyway. Cat 5e is perfect for a home network. If you want to use exotic cables and fancy network switches at the last run, that’s up to the individual

I used CAT 8 to connect my Lumin U1 @wklie and U1 displayed a Network error… I reverted back to Provided CAT cable, not sure of the version …

I’m a Wifi only guy. No issues here.

1 Like

I too don’t think it would be necessary -function or SQ wise.

Went from a Furutech Cat 6 to a Supra Cat 8, going from the router to my Lumin U1 Mini. No discernible difference whatsoever here.

WTF happened to cat 7? did we lose it? did it get run over by a car?

6 Likes

People alway seem to want the highest the highest numbers, be it wattage, resolution or Cat Cables it seems. That’s human nature I suppose but not always correct…

That’s exactly what I was thinking. It’s a bigger number, so it must be better. That pertains to price also. It cost more so it has to be better. A $2,000 device has to sound better than a $1,000 device.

4 Likes

It’s around but like cat 8 not really needed in a home system.

This is not a matter of numbers or price. I can’t help what they label it or how much it cost, that has nothing to do with me. It was a simple question… not based on any preconceived notion that because it was a higher number or cost more it would be better. If that was the case, I would not own the audio equipment I own, the cars I own, the house I own, as I could certainly afford the higher numbered models and/or higher priced options if that’s what I wanted.

They could have labeled it CAT 2.7 or 5.2 or 5f, or whatever… it has significantly different specs, and this is what caused me to ask if anyone uses it and/or if anyone sees a benefit to using it.

You guys that assume you know what people are thinking are apparently mind-readers now I suppose… just based on someone asking a very very simple question. It’s really amazing how you can draw such silly sarcasm out of some folk by asking a simple question.

Regards,
Sonnie

3 Likes

If there is any difference, it is probably small and quite difficult to notice (this also depends on the audio chain, obviously) and I think it is more important whether or not the cable is intended for audio, than CAT category 5, 7, 8 etc.

You were given the basic answer by chris immediately after your request. Cat 8’s shielding can cause issues.

1 Like

Please use an unshielded CAT 6 or CAT 5e.

1 Like

I’m using CAT 6 now… and all is fine, but with the significantly different specs for the CAT 8, was curious if there was any benefit. It appears not from all the responses. I will continue as is. Thanks!

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

I do Supra cat 8 because I can DIY very cheap.

2 Likes

I use the Supra Cat 8 Cable because of the double shielding, build quality and the pricing is moderate! I have no issues at all on the contrary It works excellent with no disturbancies from the outside!

1 Like