Cat 8 Ethernet Cables?

Some time ago, I was in the category of those who believe that “bits are bits” and that the digital area hardware does not matter, as long as it works properly.
Fortunately, I was willing to experiment, which I did.
Following the experiments, I was surprised to find that everything related to hardware / software affects the sound quality.
The extreme examples are below. In both cases, the whole audio chain was identical, except for the explicitly specified parameter:

• Replacing the Intel NUC power supply on which Roon ROCK was installed.
  • Changing some settings in the Intel NUC BIOS on which Roon ROCK was installed.

All hardware / digital changes in the audio chain (computers, software, BIOS settings, cables, power sources, switches, USB versus Ethernet, etc.) generate a different audio timbre (more pleasant or not, depending on personal taste).
That was my experience, which made me give up the idea of ​​"bits are bits" when it comes to audio.
I don’t know the technical cause / explanation for this reality (although I looked for it), but this is the reality in my case.
To all those who have questions / dilemmas in this area, I recommend them to experiment on their own systems. In this area, there is no universally valid answer…

I’m dubious, not because I’m the technical sort, but because if I apply the same tweaks to my TV, nothing changes, the picture doesn’t improve with blacker blacks, more contrast, and more vibrant colors - and eyes are much more sensitive than ears. The other point of dubiousness, is that these audiophile tweaks are always expensive! You you hear an improvement, great, but I’m skeptical.

3 Likes

Yes. Yes. Depending on the mix of equipment and interactions, possibly including EMI?, I have settled on some “last leg” Cat8 (after much experimentation) immediately before my endpoints. I have tried various 5, 6 and 7 options over the years, and have mostly been satisfied with Blue Jeans/Belden products overall.

But I wouldn’t dismiss Cat8 out of hand as inappropriate. Try it.

1 Like

This is the “halo effect”: you apply conclusions from one domain (TV) to another domain (audio), and you are expecting to be true. Not ok… :grin:

Sure it is, everyone’s allowed an opinion!

1 Like

Everyone’s allowed an opinion is ok, of course. But that does not mean that the opinion itself is ok or true.

Same cables… different use case…

I have some Cat8 in use for a Meridian Speakerlink connection and it sounds quite amazing. I have some other Cat8 that sounded average though. Same with Cat7 - some good, some not as good.

This isn’t packet data though - it’s AES digital audio. So effectively analogue…??

S

I used to have Cat 6 cables for Meridian Speakerlink. Then, out of a thought of completeness, I acquired Speakerlink cables and I never noticed any difference. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t any, but I never noticed it.

Chris,

I was surprised how sensitive they seemed to be different cables, although some differed more than others. I would’ve preferred if they did all sound the same TBH.

Anyway, these are the ones that my ears like best on my DSPs - a cheap experiment perhaps…

S

1 Like

They are the ones to go for then, always trust your ears in your room with your system and room…
Not too expensive either so nothing to lose here…
I have ordered a couple of short ones to try between router and Meridian 210 and 210 to 218.

I just setup a small home network in my current living space. Because of covid I can’t spend too much time home. I used Cat 6a and Cat 7 throughout but had a serious buzz on all my endpoints and it was definitely coming from my ethernet. I switched out the last link between the switch and the computer with a Cat 5 and poof it was gone.

That is because shielded STP cables can cause ground issues. That is why UTP is preferred over STP, it isolates the possibility of ground issues which lead to Humms, buzzes, or equipment not working.

…but I didn’t mention which colour sounded better… :laughing:

1 Like

Ahhhh, well I had considered that and plumped for white for easy identification purposes…

AES Digital Audio can be sensitive to link jitter, so its very possible that cables can affect SQ.

I’m sure you could have deployed an inline audiophile ethernet de-crappifer for $400+ that would have broken the screen continuity and solved your ground loop problem instead.

Imagination? Could that be the explanation? I’m always impressed (and, often, depressed) by the credence put in “earwitness testimony”, when we know it’s among the least trustworthy of ways to actually determine something. Right up there with the canals Schiaparelli saw on Mars. Right up there with reading tea leaves.

2 Likes

You know it. Almost pulled the trigger on a couple of Fiber to ethernet converters and Fiber patch cables before the simple solution presented itself.

Imagination and placebo effect are the simplest counterargument to use in a dispute / contradiction.
These arguments can be easily abused, but the truth of such statements should be proven. I don’t think you can prove that in my case the imagination or the placebo effect acted…

I my recent, fairly relaxed comparison, I picked a section of a track which I identified as being a newton’s cradle (didn’t identify that with the previous kit). It’s quite distictive and even though you can’t “unhear”, it’s a repeatable “test”. I don’t think this is imagination/placebo. People can be intelligent when comparing.

Having said that my Cat8 cables are flame retardant, why take the risk? (;))

1 Like