CD Booklet Scanning

I would have assumed that anyone who used Discogs more than once or twice noticed the clear pattern of 600 x 600, 600 x 597, 500 x 500, etc., pixel resolution images and connected the dots.

AJ

Yes I had noticed that it was low resolution - hence my question…

I’d be interested in a feature for associating .pdf or .jpg files to Qobuz and TIDAL streaming releases. This could be done similar to how a custom .jpg file can be associated with an artist. Maybe adding a section like this for library releases: three-dot menu > edit > edit album > ADD FILES. There could be a choice of a hyperlink or local file for each addition.

For locally stored music I often add files to album folders using the best credits, liner notes, articles or reviews available, usually formatted to my liking. But my owned albums are far outnumbered by streaming TIDAL and Qobuz releases in my library, often with inadequate or inaccurate metadata. It would be quite handy to be able to click open a customized .pdf or .jpg, the same way as for files (occasionally) provided by the streaming services.

2 Likes

Interesting feature request.

Personally, I buy the music I really like (from Qobuz, HDTracks, other sites, as well as ripping CDs and SACDs). So in my case those albums to which I would want to add extra info are in my local library.

If you don’t mind… A quick NAPS2 question… I installed it yesterday and works nicely. The one thing I can’t figure out is how to crop.

In Epson Scan 2 you do a preview and from there you can set the scan area, after which you scan all pages in sequence. In a CD booklet the area is always the same so I can scan in sequence with the same crop and be done with it. With NAPS2, I suppose you crop post scan. But then how do you crop all the scans the same? Do you really have to go one by one? I can’t figure this out.

Thx.

I probably need to fire up my windows PC to answer properly but from memory I have saved a setting that is the size of a CD booklet with a few other settings for box sets etc. So this is the first thing you need to set up.

What I do is Scan all the double pages of the CD booklet and then select all copy and past so you now have 2 sets of double paged CD booklet. Usually the first set is selected and then you use the crop button to crop the left hand page and select apply to all selected. Then select the remaining double pages and crop the right page, then with second set of pages is usually still selected and if you choose interleave the pages will be put in page 1,2,3 etc order. You will have to manually move the front cover which usually ends up as the last page but it’s just drag into position

It really is a powerful scanning software much better than any bundled ones I’ve ever owned.

I usually save the scans as both photos and PDFs.

.sjb

2 Likes

The Internet Archive has a lot of pdf album covers/booklets
https://archive.org/search?query=dire+straits+dire+straits+

Pdf versions of covers are usually easier to read in Roon because they open in an external viewer and you are able to zoom. With jpgs you are stuck with Roons viewer.

7 Likes

Oh no this is going to be hundreds of hours of browsing for me :face_with_peeking_eye:

Wish I hadn’t looked but thank you @TreeZorro I had never seen this before

2 Likes

Genius Scan app for iPhone. Easy, fast & cheap.

@Michael_Harris @TreeZorro

goodness… As you have mentioned, my weekend just got a bit busier and I see myself adding PDF’s for as many as I can locate to the album folders.

Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

I have been at this for over a year now adding pdfs to my collection. Still no where near finished. But it’s a sort of enjoyable process. I also like the fact that the scans are sometimes well worn or from some public library. It somehow makes it more alive or lived than a crystal clear digital booklet. Also a lot of special edition album covers have long write-ups about the album and the production. A goldmine of information and a lifetime of reading if you have a large collection.

3 Likes

I think adding pdfs somehow fulfill the old Roon promise of browsing your collection and reading liner notes. In a way what Roon provides is a lot more information than liner notes but I still miss the having the cover in hand. I don’t think Roon ever will or can provide liner notes except for the ones from Qobuz and I read somewhere that Qobuz had more or less given up dragging liner notes out of record companies.

So I don’t mind using some time (a lot of time:) adding the liner notes myself. It sort of makes your collection unique. It also makes backing up even more relevant :slightly_smiling_face:

There is a feature request on the SongKong forum for making SongKong able to find and save album pdfs:

And I think it is on the roadmap, but I’m not sure it will ever be possible to do.

The Focus feature in Roon has a very usefull “Has PDF” option to keep track of progress.

5 Likes

I will be spending some time adding as well. I had started scanning a few myself but that was way too tedious with the scanner I have. Then I was adding some jpegs to album folders but didn’t really like way that looked or worked either. If this has a large amount of my albums a huge win for sure!

Having a feature to auto add a similar looking PDF of liner notes would be pretty spectacular.

In my limited playing around with it and your note of PDF focus in Roon above, I found a few of the PDFs I exported from the Internet Archive weren’t showing in Roon. I wasn’t sure why. I ended up just changing file name just a bit and Roon picked it right up. Is that something you have had as well in your much larger sample size?

I went through a process of upgrading my album covers, especially my early rips that were 300x300 etc and that took long enough, but it was enjoyable and I listened to a lot of albums I hadn’t in ages so I can imagine this will be as enjoyable :+1:

1 Like

No I haven’t seen pdfs not showing up in Roon once I saved them to the folder.

1 Like

Exactly. Its perfect Sunday afternoon work🙂 and you get reacquainted with your collection.

2 Likes

Thank you from me too. I had never heard of that resource.

It was @TreeZorro that posted it, I will be a happy user of this facility :+1:

1 Like

But if you split a PDF into images per page, then you can open them within Roon itself, and also jump to any page with a single click!

I have experienced the non-appearance and have also found a minor file rename resolves it.

1 Like