CD Booklet Scanning

Hi,

Does anyone know of an efficient way to scan booklets for me to add into roon?

Or better still, a download resource to add them in. From looking online there are copyright issues with a download resource though I only want booklets for the CDs i actually own.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Paul

2 Likes

If you have a Qobuz subscription and if you can find your local file on Qobuz then (mostly) Qobuz will have the booklets. Roon just loads them into an Acrobat reader and you can save them to disk from there.

2 Likes

Hi, are you saying I can use my Qobuz subscription to save the booklets locally? Effectively making a local copy?

On Qobuz it‘s simply a PDF, open and save it. But only a small number of releases has one.

You can’t download them from a site because copyrights. Nobody can verify whether you own the CD.

In case of CDs, a 50 euro scanner and a bit of time produces scans

1 Like

Do you reckon this will do the job?

Canon LiDE 400 Colour Flatbed Scanner - Black https://amzn.eu/d/aGaOxa2

Any recommendations for which software? I would like them to be tidy.

Yes. Depends what genres you are interested in. Very high proportion of pdf’s for Classical. I often do this. Especially where metadata is weak. With genres I am interested in systematic scanning of large booklets across my entire library is not really practical except in a few cases where access is important to me.

1 Like

I do this all the time: I use a cheap Epson v39 scanner to create a pdf. All you need to do is put this pdf in the same directory as the music files.

Qobuz albums with a pdf booklet will simply show in Roon. If you buy a Qobuz album with a pdf booklet (most don’t have it) then you can always download the pdf file with your files. Put them in the same directory as your files and they will show up in Roon. For some albums I really dig, I would add pdf versions of articles or whatever (just “print to pdf” in your computer) and those will also show up.

Get ANY scanner with software that allows you to save to pdf and you’re done. You might also look for software that scans AND does OCR (optical character recognition) which is very useful to search for words if you so desire.

I think all scanners will come with software that can scan to multi-page pdf. OCR is a little more tricky, look around.

Yes, I have the LiDE 300 and it is just fine.

It comes with scanner software (Win/Mac, the usual scanner tool works on Linux) and some simple editing software. The scanner software can scan multiple pages into one PDF file. Most of the time the included stuff does the job for me. Otherwise, whatever image editing software you are comfortable with. You can go over the top with getting everything just perfect, but for me it’s good enough if the PDF is neatly cropped, the colors are reasonable, I can’t see printer dots too much, and I don’t waste half of my remaining lifetime on it.

MusicBrainz has page by page scans of many CD booklets, hit or miss on a title by title basis. For example:

Discogs consistently has a greater number of page by page scans, but user accessible size is capped at 600 pixel resolution, making legibility an issue in some instances.

AJ

1 Like

Still using this software, it makes scanning so easy.

.sjb

2 Likes

I use the EPSON scanner software that came with my all in one printer, via Irfanview. It works but is a tedious process, having to flatten the booklet on the scanner bed for each pair of pages. I presume you must still have to do these basics with NAPS2, so does it really simplify things very much?

If there is interest I will try to assemble a list of cds for which I did this, which I am happy to share. They are mostly compilations and re-releases (almost all non classical) where the compiler has provided a rich set of track notes and or background essay and photos, which are really worth having to hand in the system.

1 Like

Plus, I have to say I only do this rarely. I keep my CDs and will simply fetch the paper booklet normally.

2 Likes

Nice! Thx!

But that is way too easy! :rofl:

1 Like

Why is resolution capped at Discogs?

This looks excellent, I will buy the cannon scanner and get to work.

This is going to be painfully slow but I must make a start.

Do I look like Discogs’ official spokesperson?

But since you asked, I would surmise that Discogs caps user accessible images at 600 pixel resolution because of copyright/fair use concerns. I doubt that the reasons are data storage or bandwidth concerns because Discogs does appear to retain full pixel resolution original uploads. They just are not available to users to access and download.

AJ

Well, call me crazy, but I think it’s not unreasonable to assume that since you had information about Discogs’ capping of resolutions, you might also have information about why they did it. :smiley:

1 Like