Changes to BBC Radio station streaming

In Roon BBC Radio 6 Music is here

3 Likes

Simon

many thanks for links & directions - couldn’t find it 6 Music with search - but did via Avant garde from your picture

:blush:How confusing is the BBC

I did a search for “BBC Radio 2” and got nothing. Should I search using a different string?

Did you use the magnifying glass?

Definitely there

Yeah, it’s there. It had been displaying the old page, and I needed to delete the old entry before the new one showed up.

Thank you!

1 Like

Can anyone confirm that for accessing in UK, sbr_high (320kbps) work for all (or the majority of) BBC radio stations using HLS links?

And outside UK, am I right that the best one can use is sbr_low?

Thanks.

I can, although also not in the UK but the format for the BBC stations is

The sbr_med for the 128kbps and sbr_high for the 320kbps are both restricted to ‘uk’ in the URL
The sbr_low for the 96kbps is not restricted and for ‘nonuk’

I do hope the BBC look to lossless FLAC streaming soon, and remove this restriction.

I effectively pay for BBC content through my Virgin Media Ireland subscription but cannot get the higher format radio stations.

Thanks,
Simon.

1 Like

BBC is (right now) changing things … with a result that simple HLS links might not work any more.

See Changes to live BBC radio streams | BBC Sounds

Does BBC Radio Orkney still work on Roon … if it does then that might mean that things will be OK.

1 Like

Just checked and BBC Orkney plays fine - default 320kbps

1 Like

Some more info here

This paragraph in particular

• c) Directories and software solutions that enable individual users to directly access streams to add their connected devices will not be supported.

However, at present the BBC Orkney streams are working in Roon (and indeed in VLC)

@mike are you aware of this?

1 Like

I am only receiving 96kbs for BBC Radio 3 in Jersey.

I have queried this with BBC and they suggest that this is not their restriction:

Hi,
Thanks for getting back in touch with us.
Our radio streams play at the same quality whether you are inside or outside the UK, and as explained previously, this will depend on your internet connection, and your device, when listening.

If you’re having trouble with your internet radio streams, you’ll need to contact the manufacturer of the radio, as they are responsible for controlling the content on their devices.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Luke Rodgers

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help

Is this a Roon restriction?

There is a geo-restriction of ”GB” applied to the higher rate streams. It appears that “GB” does not include Jersey so I have added “JE” as an allowed area.

Whether the BBC consider Jersey as an allowed recipient of the higher rate streams, I do not know, but if you get silence instead of music you will find out.

Can you try now and let me know? If it works, I’ll adjust other BBC channels.

Edit: some googling indicates that Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man should be OK . I’ll make the necessary changes.

4 Likes

Working perfectly now. Thank you for sorting it so quickly.

1 Like

Evidently, Luke Rodgers of the BBC is either being disingenuous or is totally unaware that the BBC has long applied geo-fencing on its radio streams.

Either way, I think he should be told…

1 Like

Just for info to show my choices.
I am in U.K. and these are my options, I assume non U.K. has only the lower rate options

I’m in the Netherlands and thus on the wrong side of the geo-fence…

Indeed I was surprised by that answer, although if he is strictly referring to a given 96kbps stream (disregarding the availability of 320kbps different streams for UK listeners), I cannot say he is 100% wrong.

In which case, he is indeed being disingenuous… :slightly_smiling_face: