ChatGPT Discovery features better than Volumio

ChatGPT enabled music discovery.

July announcements on CGPT-driven features for Volumio look interesting :

Imagine Roon could offer transformative capabilities here?

Numerous interface ideas… a few:

• Rich Text Search scoped to Tivo / Wiki sources

• CGPT short dialog as extra filter, in Albums view etc.

• Valence discovery ‘rudder’ (Roon Radio qualifiers?)

• Playlist generation (example in screenshot)

If you like this sort of thing, there’s already an extension available.

2 Likes

Thanks @Martin_Webster I was unaware of this. Great that there is already a GA extension to generate playlists, and I hope that this will grow in capability.

Looking at the RooAIDJ demonstrations, I see this as a multi-device (iOS) front-end to the standard chatGPT dialogue: it has no context to Roon. This amounts to a neat third-party implementation of the 4th idea in my OP- ‘generate a playlist like x’ - but not the others.

Interestingly this Darko demo video shows challenges with this approach: responses may not generate playlists or may be filled with ‘karaoke’ versions rather than originals.

For me, this reinforces the value of R&D into more specific Roon-native use cases with LLMs, that better target users’ libraries & interests: it demonstrates the importance of context e.g.
scoping the prompts to the LLM (e.g. to generate reliable csv-like outputs for playlists)
scoping the focal information sources (e.g. toggles for same info sources Roon uses?, …)
scoping the query space (e.g. to Roon Library, or specific selection)

Lots here which big & small tech companies are wrestling with, and I hope that native Roon integration with LLM APIs will become a growing demand. Discovery goldmine!