Cheap small audiophile streamer

Haha. Yes. I’ll take note.

I just had a reply from Henley re the S2 and S2 Ultra. They share a name but that’s about it - they’re built on different technology, the S2 is not RPi-based. Henley’s view is that with a TT Hugo the S2 Ultra is the way to go. Which you might expect them to say - it costs more - but I know the chap I’m talking to well and he’s a straight talker.

Perfectly makes sense and very much appreciated for looking into this.

So need to decide now.

Another inexpensive wireless Roon endpoint are the Google Chromecast. devices.

Pluses:

Wireless
Inexpensive

Negatives:

Not Roon Ready (aka no RAAT support)
No USB output, either HDMI output or for the Chromecat Audio either stereo mini jack or optical digital
Limited bit depth and sampling frequency

Thanks Ralph. Ironically I was discussing that today.

I’ve decided on the Allo USB signature and now need to get it shipped. Thanks

Adam so Pi in the end even if you don’t have to build it yourself.
I wish they did a nicer looking case (I know that you don’t listen to the case) but hopefully it will do the business for you and make that Chord sing for you.
Well let’s hoping you some enjoyable time listening soon.

Mike

Indeed Mike. Hoping so. I’ve got to know check when they can deliver.

Thanka again. .

2 Likes

Excellent choice! Hope that the Allo brings you many hours of listening pleasure.
By the way I have three Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultras in use and I like them quite a bit.

Yes, enjoy. As I mentioned, I have the Allos Digione and that has been a great device. :+1:

Morning, here I’m currently using a Raspberry Pi4 with an Allo DigiOne
Signature,both powered with an Allo Shanti. Psi.
Okay total cost is a bit high but something to build up to and extremely well worth it sound wise.
Forgot nearly, I’ve installed Ropieee xl, not to hard to install. Ashamedly I’m using a Chord Signature tuned array co ax,this alone cost as much as all the above, but it’s spare, why not.
To my own and other fellow listeners it’s not so far off my old Auralic
Aries.

I’m using the Pro-ject Audio Systems StreamBox S2 Ultra, which is the bridge between my ROCK and Chord Upscaler > Chord TT2. this works really well

Thanks Andrew. Can I ask is that via network or WiFi or have you tried both ?

I also read that it can very hot when in the summer or warmer months or is that a myth ? Cheers

I prefer to use a wired network, when I have used the WIFI this has been perfectly fine also, no evidence of any buffering.

I have not experienced any evidence that this unit running hot at all, not even significantly warm at room temps of 25°C.

In fact, I use a 1kg weight (AKA doorstop as per Darko) on the top of this small unit to stop it ‘wandering’ not warm at all, even when I have the device simultaneously streaming and ripping CD’s.

Thanks Andrew. Very helpful and as they say dont believe everything in the press !

As you see I’ve been considering a number of alternatives and the one I’m looking at from Allo now have shipping issues so my hand maybe forced back to the dealer. We shall see. Thanks

This also was probably my other choice.

Hi Andrew thanks for the help with the S2 ultra.

Is the unit plug n play and just needs enabling in Roon ? Or is there more configuration required ?.thanks

It is reasonable ‘Plug and Play’ with a helpful configuration wizard, which you can be opted for on the initial start rather than a manual setup. There are several finer manual settings depending on sources and music formats used, all the relevant information is in the manual, downloadable at Pro-Ject Audio website. Additionally, there is a good setup tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx79MA-_wjg and review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQezIGg6n4&t=311s

Great. Thanks.

Haha. Don’t worry about the Chord signature. I did the same !! Upgraded the anthem 2 RCAs to signature and love them but regret spending so much on the streamer downstairs… I wish I knew know what I did when I bought it !

I fear predictive text may have mangled the message here slightly :joy:

1 Like