Cheap small audiophile streamer

Haha indeed. Oooops

1 Like

It’s remarkably difficult to get good info in this field, because of the swirl of marketing and sales ■■ mixed with archaic out-of-date lore, some of it going back to the 1950’s.

2 Likes

I recommend the Project S2 ultra also. Easy to use and stable. Also very versatile connecting to PC or USB hd too! I had a Sotm previously and was a pain to use.

Thanks Glynn…I think that is the plan now.

Adam,
Just further update on your question on reports of the unit running ‘hot’. I seem to recall reading that this issue, which was to do with using the HDMI port to connect to a screen. I have my S2 ultra as a headless unit and use the iPad app or the web brouser interface to ajust any settings, display playback and rip CD’s etc.

Thanks… it did seem a bit strange. I’m now asking the audience and maybe phoning a friend on the Bluesound Note 2i. Im keen to hear views… Cheers :slight_smile:

This may be cheaper than you wanted, but the Google Chromecast Audio using SPDIF is a very low cost streamer solution. You may not regard it as audiophile, but it has been highly rated by a certain objectivist reviewer :wink: They are no longer sold by Google but you can pick them up on eBay for $50. Then you need the SPDIF cable.

Haha. Thanks. Ironically I has considered this but I’m limited to 24/96 is my understanding. Thanks.

A cheap laptop or a old mac mini should be able to do it

Yes, I believe that’s correct. Most of my streamers are Raspberry Pi running DietPi. It’s fairly simple to setup, but does require a small amount of DIY.

Interesting article :+1:

1 Like

it’s weird Phil but I keep harking back to the fact that I do want to give the Hugo TT 2 some justice and provide it with an excellent source. I’m still leaning towards the pro-ject ultra. Thanks

has been noted as a bit unstable in post in the community to the point some have returned them.

Just get a Raspberry Pi 4 locally. And the stock official Raspberry Pi 4 power adapter (USB-C). And an 8gb microSD card (get a couple, they’re cheap!).

And use the RPi4’s USB output into your superb TT2.

The only tricky part is just loading RoPieee (free but accepts donations) onto a microSD card and setting that up as a Roon Bridge endpoint, but there’s plenty of people here that can help you through that.

I would say once you get the RPi4, you’ll be fully setup and happy easily within a week. Maybe even a day. The only reason I mention a week is if you need help with the software side, people here are in different timezones so there may be some back and forth with waiting periods in between forum replies for example. But a week would be worse case I reckon !

Funny the link below mentions 5 minutes :grin:

1 Like

I think your 2 best options are a microRendu and SGC LPS from Small Green Computer or a RoPieee you can get the kit here, https://www.amazon.com/Argon-Raspberry-Model-Case-AR_NEO_RPi4_2Gig_32GigSD/dp/B08BWNJLJ4/ref=pd_ybh_a_28?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FEVH41M3DEYBEAE1R647, and instructions here. https://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf

Much appreciated. So much choice !!

But the Rendu us not wireless

Maybe not 5 mins but certainly an hour

See the link above to the beginners guide

Sorry to open this up again but I’m keen to hear if anyone has compared or heard the Chord 2go & 2yu combo with other high end streamers ?

My plan is to use the Chord TT 2 DAC upstairs with the 2go & 2yu streamer and transport. Currently I have the Hugo2 with the 2go on a loaner and to my ears it sounds superb but keen to hear others who have used the 2go&2yu with other high end DACs

Downstairs I have an Auralic G1 but I must admit I spending more with the headphones but that could change …

Thanks

The Pi4 also needs 3A which the Ifi doesn’t supply unless you go for the iPower X. Fed up with all these people giving bad advice in using the normal iPower with Pi4 . Would you give any other hifi component less power than It requires to operate optimally?