Cheap TURNKEY Roon Endpoint/DAC Combination That Just Works

For a new house, whole house music project, I’m looking to see if anyone has a link for the subject. The Endpoint/DAC will be used essentially for background music (no critical) listening. An A/C outlet and Ethernet Inlet have been provided. It’s kind of difficult staying out of the weeds searching here and elsewhere for my needs. My guess is that by now, someone is selling pretty much a plug and play bundle for my simple needs. I would appreciate a link or suggestions…Thanks!

A refurb Apple TV 3 with optical out, if you can find one. $59.

https://allo.com/sparky/boss-player.html

1 Like

https://allo.com/sparky/index-plug-and-play.html

1 Like

HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro see https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/dac-bundle/

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys! Because of the many variables associated with hardware and everyone’s desire for various end results, I’ve been confused as whether to start with a R-Pi solution or something else. And if the R-Pi, what parts and pieces will work best without a software learning curve & related decisions – hence, my turnkey request…

On the flip side, I recently spec’ed and built a HTPC to mainly serve as my core along with ancillary video duties. So, while I don’t mind digging-in to the details and getting my hands dirty (so to speak), it didn’t make much sense doing so for the very modest non-critical 3 end-points this post entailed. On hand 3 OTHER end-points are critical and garnering my full attention. Enjoy the remainder of the weekend…

R-Pi solutions are inexpensive but need a small amount of configuration. If you choose Diet-Pi as the OS you can install Roon Bridge from a menu. I would choose the Allo Boss as a non-critical streamer.

I’ve got four rPi’s, three with DAC hats (a hifiberry and two iqaudio) and one as an spdif source (Allo DigiOne).

They’re great.

It’s a bit fiddly to build and set them up (but not difficult really) but you have a very flexible system at the end.

Dietpi is great but needs a little config (simple). Others use ropieee which is for Roon only and only needs web gui config so is simpler (but I didn’t get on with it).

The only negative for me is they’re a bit messy - wires, PSUs etc. I know there’s a Poe card now but not sure if you can power a DAC HAT or not (and I don’t have a proper Poe switch). If so would be a neater solution. But it’s still a pi, case, wire to speaker, and speaker (probably with its power).

I would love it if someone made a simple nicely designed Sonos type speaker with a wired Ethernet port (and it be cheap), but I just don’t think there’s much market for it and especially for entry RAAT devices.

1 Like

I thought the link I provided was for assembled players (plug and play bundles) but after taking a closer look that may not be the case. @allo.com can you confirm?

What makes you think they are not?

From the Boss Player page:

This unit comes fully assembled with SD card flashed with either DietPI, Max2Play or Volumio. Plug and play.

Price! The assembled DigiOne player is cheaper than the parts. :smile: Also, use of the “bundle” implies you’re ordering all components in one go.

hi to all,
our PLAYERS come assembled and ready to use.
BOSS / DIGIONE / MiniBOSS / VANA

Bundles dont.

1 Like

Do I get it wrong that you still have to do some programming or set-up in order to use as streamer?

That’s my reason so far as absolut no “ IT person” trying it!

I note that the DigiOne Player appears in more than one menu: Transport and Plug & Play. What’s more, the Plug & Play page refers to “Plug and Play Bundles”. On mobile devices, navigation is not so clear. These things lead to my confusion.

@Martin_Webster
will make it more clear , thanks for the feedback.

@Redwine
if youa re starting, Volumio is recommended.
a very simple basic set up is required after connecting all the wires.

1 Like

Andre, Allo was one of the websites I visited before initiating this post. Although I’m 99.9% certain that Allo sells what will suit my requirements, what might that combination of parts be?

My computer audio journey started in 2006 with the purchase of a Wavelength Brick DAC from one of the father’s of PC audio, Gordon Rankin. So, I’m very cognizant of the software, pieces and parts needed to create a very highly resolved PC based audio chain. Finding Roon over a year ago, created my opportunity to create a not-so-critical (when compared to my 2-channel room) whole house music network.

Now, I’m simply wanting – a ROON driven – sound (music & news) throughout my house, in non-critical listening rooms such as a bathroom. For each of the non-critical listening rooms that I want speakers, A/C and Ethernet outlets have been provided in our new house.

With the exception of speakers and the Roon Core, what Allo parts (including a case) do I need to consider? How do these pieces fit/connect together? I’m assuming they plug together like RAM or a video card into a M/B, but haven’t seen a depiction of how they are assembled. Will I need to acquire software and install it, or does Allo provide software?

Before posting this, I understood that a Raspberry Pi based Roon Endpoint + DAC connected to powered speakers would take care of my non-critical whole house music needs. But returning to the intent of this post, what pieces and parts do I need to procure? And when I receive them, what is needed to be done to connect them together and then get them up and running?

You don’t need to buy pieces or do any assembly. Allo will sell you a complete device. It should be plug and play.

1 Like

The new ones lost the optical output so it has to be a TV 3 or TV 2.

Chromecast audio would be a good alternative (assuming Google still offers them with the optical out) I’ve used one with Plex to good effect but Roon does not support Google Cast endpoints. Maybe Roon Labs can change this for non-critical applications.

HiFiBerry is a good alternative. Available in 3 forms DIGI, DAC, and AMP. Cost is about $100 depending on the option picked. The DIGI supports optical and coax S/PDIF output. The DAC has a Burr-Brown D/A and supports single ended or balanced depending on the version picked. The Amp has a Class D stereo amp on board. This is the more expensive version as it needs a power supply for the amplifier.

I use the DIGI+ as my primary transport into a Parasound P5 and am very pleased. All the bits get there with no ground loop issues.