Cheapest DAP with ARC Support

Hi, does anyone know the cheapest DAP that has Roon/Arc support?

Thanks
Paul

Hi @Paul_Whittaker

Whatā€™s your budget?

Be aware that currently ARC does not play hires on DAPs, it resamples everything to Androidā€™s 48 kHz audio system

2 Likes

Does an old iPhone with a dongle DAC count as a DAP?

2 Likes

Nope, thatā€™s a phone with an external DAC :slight_smile: and that works fine in hires with ARC. But ā€œDAPā€ is specifically used for dedicated audio players, typically with internal high-quality DAC and storage.

1 Like

No, but it will serve the same purpose with maybe less storage for music files.

EDIT: I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max with either a FiiO KA1 or CCK and AQ Dragonfly Cobalt. I donā€™t have any local files, but this works well with Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, and Roon ARC.

Cheers @Jim_F

Just putting ideas out there for the OP, when they pick up this thread again.

FWIW, I use an iPhone 8 with CCK, AQ Cobalt. A bit of sticky velcro and DIY (not a) DAP :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming you are looking for Roon ready then that would probably be the Fiio M11s?

Ā£500 in the uk, not cheap but it is the cheapest Roon ready DAP that I am aware of.

1 Like

Cheapest, used is ok also.

Truth is I dont want it, I need it for music at a wedding (long story) and just need Arc as it has all my music. I will try it with my headphones as a bonus.

I may explore a used one, thanks.

M11 or M11 Plus?

M11s and M11 plus are the Roon ready ones

1 Like

Which do you recommend? Who knows i may get some decent use out of it.

I donā€™t have either but I consider @Martin_Kelly to be an expert in all things Fiio, hopefully he can chime in.

1 Like

@Martin_Kelly seems to be a bit of a legend. Over the years of being in this forum hes contributed to me spending thousands on Chord and Lumin gear.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it Paul! Remember, you ā€˜canā€™t take it with youā€™!? :wink:

1 Like

The plus is awesome I have one.

How is it with Roon? Whats its offline capabilities like with Arc?

I donā€™t use arc itā€™s too unreliable as an app, you canā€™t use sd card for storage either as it only see local inbuilt storage which is small as itā€™s for apps. Roon is flawless on it. They have a Roon Ready app on it that you start up and then can use any remote to connect to it or install roon remote on it and control with that. I use it for all headphone listening at home as itā€™s portable it moves around with me.

Thats a let down, shame Arc cant see the SD card. Thats pretty much written this off for me.

DAPa are not best choice for ARC really as they all have limited inbuilt storage and rely on SD cards, they all resample to. Best with a phone and dac really for ARC when it works of course.