Choosing Primary Artists

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)

Catalina 10.15.7

3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 connected to laptop via ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’d like a better understanding of what I’m seeing when I see things like this (when adding Primary Artists to a release):

Are there more than one because I’m seeing Roon’s “official” entry & a separate user entry? On several occasions, I’ve created & added an image to an artist’s profile in my library & I’m sure many, many people do this. Are these “bespoke” artist profiles then added to Roon’s database? (I think I remember seeing something about submitting it, but I could be imagining things again!)

More importantly, is there any way for me to know who Roon thinks each of these artists are before adding them & then clicking on the name? This is not such an issue for the London Philharmonic Orchestra, although I do wonder where Roon would take me if I added & then clicked on both. (Do they lead to the same place?) But with “Andrew Slater”? Well, let’s face it, there must be many artists who have the same name as other artists. At the point of selecting the artist to add it to my release, I have no way of knowing whether these are the same artist or two completely different ones with the same name. (I’m wondering whether or not some kind of feature request, like the artist’s profile popping up when hovering over with the cursor, or a little button to click to see more info - before adding the artist to the release - might be in order?)

Or is it just a glitch in the system? I sometimes get a thing where, when I’m scrolling through the sometimes dozens of artists to get to the one I want, a persistent photo appears next to the artist name & keeps moving to the next artist as I scroll until it’s “cleared” by another photo arriving. This is clearly a bug of some description, so maybe the duplicate names is also a bug.

@Snowdog What is the folder structure or personal metadata layer behind it?

I have e.g.
London Theater Orchestra
London Theatre Orchestra

…and Roon could find both and create 2 x London Theatre Orchestra because of the two folders.

I’m not sure I fully understand the question. It would be all the tracks to a given release, in its own folder, inside a “Wagner, Richard” folder:

(Not the one that’s highlighted, incidentally.)

But the Files may well have the artists names added in Yate, so the meta-tags are there. But Roon doesn’t see them, I always have to re-add the artists manually in Roon, regardless of the fact that they’re in the meta-tags.

Also, you have two different spellings of an artist, but the things I’m seeing are identical.

I see you have a very useful folder scheme for classical music. It doesn’t start with the orchestra, but with the composer and his work. Roon should be able to deduce even such small differences as Theater Theatre from our metadata or folder structure. But every new folder is a signal for Roon to split something if it differs even in the smallest place (an invisible space).

In any case, AI makes its own object layer out of it, which works very well most of the time. To correct this manually again in Roon would be too exhausting for me. I would prepare everything outside Roon so that it is easy for Roon to read without errors.

Unfortunately, there are then also errors, because today no data supplier has the diligence to correct everything. Too time-consuming or cost-intensive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.