Chopin Works Confusion

I have lots of duplicate recordings of Chopin works

I assume there is some confusion as to whether an opus is a collection of parts or a single work

Take the nocturnes Op.27 , there are 3 works, OP.27/1 etc, in some cases Roon sees these as a group i.e. Op.27 with 3 subordinate parts in other cases it sees the 3 works as separate works with no parts

e.g. Nocturne for piano No.7 in C sharp minor, Op.27/1, CT. 114

If we compare other multi work opus e.g. Beethoven Op.2 , rightly (?) Roon sees the 3 works as works with subordinate parts

Where is the consistency ?

I assume its because all the Chopin works are single movements

The upshot is I cant see all my recordings of Nocturne for piano No.7 in C sharp minor, Op.27/1, CT. 114 as one view its split

Any thoughts ???

Mike

Hi Mike,
Classical metadata on Roon can be frustrating (polite way of saying it). Roon identifies albums using metadata from Rovi / allmusic.com, so if your tags are not exactly as listed on allmusic.com, Roon will struggle to identify a composition.

There are really two cases:

• Roon identifies the album. Roon will then take the data which is on allmusic.com and display the tracks including a composition structure (if the composition information is correct on allmusic.com)
  • An album is not listed on allmusic.com. Then Roon will (usually) not be able to identify the album. It will then try to identify the composition by matching the track names to the names used by Rovi in the composition data on allmusic.com. If the spelling is exactly correct, this works most of the time. If the spelling is off, Roon wis likely to come back with a mess.

The only way I found to get a reasonably reliable way of identification of a composition is the following:

Now you have a list of Chopin’s compositions, in which you can find the Op. 27 nocturnes. Clicking on the nocturne will give you the composition page:

Take the exact spelling of the work and use it as the track name.
Reimport the album into Roon and hopefully Roon will identify the composition.

The little squares to the left of the favorites heart indicate that a composition has been identified and how many instances of the composition are in your library, on Qobuz and on Tidal.
It’s a big effort, but really the only way to get a reliable match (in the case where Roon does not identify the album itself correctly)

Thanks for the clear explanation, I checked out an example and so far only see individual works , ie not 3 works grouped as Op.9 etc with 3 “subordinate “ parts

I am happy with the approach BUT where do the groupings by Opus come from

I can set all my instances to the Allmusic format

Nocturne for Piano in xxx, op.yy/1 , CT zzz etc

But I still get several grouped Op.9 for example just like your final example

They probably come from allmusic.com

This is the page for Op 27

Which would make the track names:
Nocturnes (2) for piano, Op. 27, CT. 114-115 - 1. No. 7 in C sharp minor. Larghetto (“Les plaintives 1”)
Nocturnes (2) for piano, Op. 27, CT. 114-115 - 2. No. 8 in D flat major. Lento sostenuto (“Les plaintives 2”)

Can you post a screenshot, please.

The point I’m making is that there is both formats

Individual works , 1-17 above this , and Combined Opus Nos, down to Opus 9 below the screenshot

I want one or the other !

Yes, I appreciate that your point. However it is a bit difficult to help with such scant information. And the exclamation mark in your last sentence does not really help the motivation to continue trying to find out what exactly you are doing. I am not Roon support, just a fellow user trying to help.

Are the albums you are looking at in Roon’s database?
If yes, there is little you can do. I am trying to get Malcom Sargent’s Pictures at an Exhibition to display correctly and I have not yet found a way.
If the albums in question are not in Roon’s database, then you have a good chance to get the compositions to group correctly, if you use the correct track names as indicated on allmusic.com.

Pls be aware that there are several different entries for Op 27 on allmusic.com:
One for the complete composition here
One each for Op 27/1 (No 7) and Op 27/2 (No 8)
If you use the former in the form “Composition - Movement” it should be grouped. The Movements are listed further down on the page.
If you use the latter, it should not be grouped.

Sorry for the frustration…

It’s really is op.27 a work with 2 parts or 2 works with one part each

Roon sees both conditions as I see it

Take by Beethoven example , no one would group Opus 2 , although I have seen it for op.18 in the Emerson Set

Hence op.2/1 are works with 4 parts so why not Chopin. Op.27 is not a work with 2 parts or is it ?

Your question does not seem to be how to get Roon to display Op 27 as a group or as two individual works. It seems to refer more to why on some albums Op 27 is listed as a grouping of two works, while on others the two tracks are listed as individual works.

There is a Wikipedia article on Op27 that explains the structure (pair of contrasting nocturnes).

How this is treated in the context of the individual album is really up to the issuer of the album. It would seem to me that in the context of a collection of the complete nocturnes, they would be in groups. In the context of an individual nocturne in a compilation, it would (obviously) be a single entity.

Roon does not maintain its own metadata. They buy it from Rovi / allmusic. So your question would really need to be addressed to Rovi / allmusic.