Chord 2Qute Audio pulses on and off

I’ve got a Chord 2Qute DAC hooked up to my Mac Mini that has been bootcamped to run Win 10 Creators Edition. I’ve downloaded and am running the latest Creators version of the Chord ASIO drivers for Win10. My music is stored on a Seagate USB3 drive connected to the Mini.

When trying to play music (they are all DSD files), the music pulses on and off with about a 1 second frequency. It’s very strange, it’s not like it’s playing with occasional dropouts, but a steady 1 second on, 1 second off (approx) pulsing of the music.

Does anyone have any ideas what I may have set up wrong?

Hi @EdmontonCanuck ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated.

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of this behavior, may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• How does the mentioned Chord DAC behave outside of the application, any issues?

• If you have any other DACs available, have you tried mounting them to the MacMini to see how they respond when being sued with Roon?

• While this may seem elementary, have you tried rebooting your core machine and the DAC since noticing this behavior?

• Have you tried testing with a new USB cable and/or a different USB port on the mini?

• I understand yo are using all DSD content, have you tried any other formats? If you are a TIDAL user, how does TIDAL content respond?

• Just verify, the Chord 2Qute audio zone isn’t disappearing an reappearing in the application, correct?

-Eric

Hi @Eric…thanks for responding…answers to your questions are below.

• How does the mentioned Chord DAC behave outside of the application, any issues?

No, no issues. DAC has been used (and is now currently working with) JRiver

• If you have any other DACs available, have you tried mounting them to the MacMini to see how they respond when being sued with Roon?

No, unfortunately, it’s the only DAC available

• While this may seem elementary, have you tried rebooting your core machine and the DAC since noticing this behavior?

Yes, many, many times in fact :wink:

• Have you tried testing with a new USB cable and/or a different USB port on the mini?

No, haven’t tried testing with a different USB cable, but I should note
that the same USB cable is being used, and working, with JRiver. Yes, have
tried using different USB ports with no effect.

• I understand yo are using all DSD content, have you tried any other formats? If you are a TIDAL user, how does TIDAL content respond?

Only have DSD content, but it’s a good idea to try it with Tidal to see if
the same thing is happening. Good idea!

• Just verify, the Chord 2Qute audio zone isn’t disappearing an reappearing in the application, correct?

Correct

Thanks for getting back to me, @EdmontonCanuck! Very appreciated!

Checking in to see how the TIDAL test turned out. Looking forward to your feedback!

-Eric

Hi @Eric

I will get back to you with the results. I should have mentioned that I’m trying to set up Roon for a friend who is not very computer savvy, so my diagnostic efforts are constrained by how often I can get over to see him and try things out (I myself am a happy and contented Roon user with my own setup at home :wink:

Hi @Eric

Had a chance to quickly check Tidal playback through Roon (controlled via an Android tablet…the MacMini is headless and running RoonServer). It worked. So the issue seems to be DSD playback. I guess I could try loading up some PCM files next and see if they play ok.

Hi @EdmontonCanuck ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing the results of the proposed test, the feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

• Please verify how the mentioned PCM files behave with the 2Qute. My assumption is that there will be no issues, but please confirm.

• Please verify if you are able to successfully up sample PCM content via the DSP engine.

• Please provide the following screenshots…

• The signal path leaving Roon when the issue (ie “pulsating music”) occurs during DSD playback.

• The audio settings being used for the 2Qute in Roon.

-Eric