Chord Hugo2 DSF Extremely Quiet

DSD 512 doesn’t work too well with my Hugo 2, I can play DSD 256 via Roon DSP unsampling and using the Hugo 2 ASIO, but when I choose DSD512, it sounds wired. but When I switched to my Fiio Q5s and same source and same setting, DSD512 works fine, not sure why, and I’ve installed the latest Hugo 2 driver from Chord website.

You do realize the Chord does not actually play DSD. The first thing that happens is Chord turns the dsd into PCM and then processes the audio. So it only really plays PCM.

yes, now I know. I am not sure if there is any advantage to force DSD via DoP, DSD 256 plays well for Hugo 2 though,

actually I went back to the PCM mode, I think it sounds better for Hugo 2

1 Like

None, dsd 256 is turned into 384 PCM and then processed by chords fpga. You would be better off upsampling to high rate PCM and sending that, IMHO. Why convert to dsd only to have it converted back to PCM? Those extra conversions are not doing the signal any good.

But whatever sounds best to you is what matters.

2 Likes

I think you will find that sending source music files to your Hugo2 as is will sound the best… The Hugo2 and Qutest both convert DSD to PCM and Upsample internally… Of course you are free to preprocess, resample and filter until your hearts content… Mostly breaking source small signal integrity in the process… Time can be better spent taming/treating your room or improving your signal chain elsewhere…

1 Like

It took me quite a while to figure out how to use HQPlayer with Roon, LOL! After try using HQPlayer with Roon for 5 mins, I am sold! No hesitation purchased the HQPlayer license right away, the improvement is like day and night to me, don’t even think about upsampling the rate or convert to DSD anymore, waste of time and consider that is downgrade, any umsampling before HQPlayer will lose the richness of the recording, just throw all the signal As Is to HQPlayer and you will hear the best sound :grin:

1 Like