Chord M Scaler not switching to stand-by when last track is DSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux x64/QNAP NAS/1.7 (528)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet/Sotm 200Ultra

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord M Scaler (USB)/Chord Dave (Dual BNC)

Description Of Issue

Chord M Scaler has ‘auto standby’ feature which puts it in low power mode when nothing is being played for 10 minutes. This works fine when PCM data is sent via Roon. However when DSD is used and the last track is DSD it seems Roon does not inform M Scaler that there is no more music. This prevents M Scaler to enter the standby mode.

Can this be fixed on Roon side?

Thanks,
Stefan

Hi @StefanK,

Can you please reproduce this issue and note the exact local time + date + last track played when this occurs? To clarify, there should be two timestamps + tracks you note:

1. When you have the last track playing PCM content and the Scalar goes to sleep
  2. When the last track played is DSD and the Scalar doesn’t sleep

Once I have this info I can enable diagnostics mode and take a look to see if the sleep commands on the Roon side are different based on content type played last.

Hi @noris,

Here is the info:
08/04 at 20:16 CEST

• finished PCM track (Queue is empty now)
  • M Scaler immediately recognized there is no more signal and the led indicating source bit rate is turned off. 10 mins later M scaler enters stand by mode

08/04 at 20:31 CEST

• finished DSD128 track (Queue is empty now)
  • same result like on PCM, the source indicator led is turned off. Didn’t wait here 10 mins, but it would turn offf.

08/04 at 20:33 CEST

• finished DSD512 track (Queue is empty now)
  • M Scaler is still indicating with the led the source dsd type, so it thinks data is still flowing in. 10 mins later the led is still on and M Scaler does not switch to stand by mode
  • DSD512 is not played directly but down-sampled by Roon to DSD256 as Sotm200Ultra is linux based streamer and Chord doesn’t have support for Native DSD playback on linux

08/04 at 20:45 CEST

• finished DSD256 track (Queue is empty now)
  • same issue as DSD512, source indicator led stays on, so M Scaler still thinks data is flowing and won’t enter stand by mode

08/04 at 20:48 CEST

• finished DSD64 track (Queue is empty now)
  • same as PCM and DSD128, Source indicator is turned off and in 10 mins M Scaler goes in stand by.

So it turns out the issue happens only on DSD256 and DSD512

1 Like

Hi @StefanK,

Thank you for your further testing here! I have activated diagnostics mode and what this action does is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis. I can confirm that the log report has been received and I have passed it on to the technical team for further analysis.

Hello @StefanK,

Looking at your logs, it shows that the Roon to ALSA (Linux driver) interactions are the same regardless of the format being played. In all cases we can see the [alsa] teardown trace at the end of playback, indicating that Roon has released its hold on the audio device.

Any device behavior that occurs after Roon has released it’s hold on the audio device is not related to Roon, so unfortunately there is nothing we can do here.

-John

Hi @john,

Thank you for analyzing the issue. I have now contacted SOtM support and they are reviewing it now on their side. I will let you know when I have some news.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.