Chord Mojo and DSD256 on Roon Windows

Hi Eric, all attached

I’ve tried toggling on/off every combination of whatever can be toggled in those settings. Same result - static

Also tried a 1s resync delay.

You processing speed is dangerously low at 1x – I believe @brian said somewhere the ‘safe margin’ is somewhere around 1.3x. It may just be your Surface running out of steam here.

That said: what does your signal path look like when you are playing unprocessed DSD256?

Interesting, this is why I asked if the SP4 had the specs for DSD256 up-sampling. I don’t even hear the fan come on though, no sign of strain.

As mentioned before though, evening playing a NativeDSD.com DSD256 file in ‘lossless’ mode via DoP still results in static.

I’ll try and find that file now…

Here is the NativeDSD.com DSD256 file in lossless mode, via DoP

Still static

Surely Roon Core running on an i5 with 8gb RAM and on SSD shouldn’t be a problem with playing a file bit perfect, with no DSP? In terms of running out of steam?

Genuine questions btw, I’m not being a smarty pants. I know DSD up-sampling may need grunt but bit perfect playback too? With these PC specs?

No – for playing ‘regular’ (non-upsampled) DSD files, your Surface should be fine.

I wish I could be of more assistance – but I’m afraid I have not touched a Windows system in many, many years…

1 Like

Ok fantastic. Nice to know my i5 isn’t obsolete after 12 months :grin:

I’m regretting moving to Windows 12 months ago… after being a Mac man for many, many years… lol

I’ve tried different USB cables too from PC to Mojo, from a fancy exotic one to the one Chord supplies (presumably able to meet their spec of DSD256 playback via DoP) and others. Doesn’t seem to be a cable issue.

hhhmmm… ASIO settings for your Mojo show “green” for DSD-512 too (which Mojo shouldn’t do) whilst on my Mac mini “green” only goes up to DSD-256 and 512 is red (which, according to specs, is correct)

1 Like

So she’s ready for Poly. Doesn’t help me right now though lol :frowning:

LOL

I was meaning… maybe there’s indeed something wrong with the drivers :neutral_face:

1 Like

LOL sorry, yes could be that too.

So I just did the obvious next thing to try.

I un-installed all Chord drivers including ASIO, rebooted, then re-installed all latest drivers from Mojo website, then rebooted.

Still static when playing DSD256 and DSD512 still shows as ‘green’.

A couple new screenshots. The previous screenshot showing processing speed 1.0 was taken immediately on hitting play, to try and get a screenshot before static would start.

After a couple of seconds it goes to 1.3x for DSD256 as per new screenshots below.

For DSD128 processing speed is 2.1x but still I get drop-outs (pauses) once or twice every track, whether playing a native DSD128 track (with Roon in lossless mode) or whether up-sampling to DSD128, so this is not bit perfect playback even at DSD128.

I hope the solution isn’t requiring an i7, even for lossless DoP playback :frowning:

With parallelize sigma delta modulator ON for DSD256 up-sampling, processing speed is 1.8x and still just static is playing.

Screenshots below:

Hey @dabassgoesboomboom – I know we have a Mojo in house, so @Eric and I are going to look into this.

Have you tried WASAPI drivers or only ASIO? I assume you haven’t tried running your Core on a different device? Might be worth it, just to confirm whether this issue is limited to the Surface or not.

Sorry for the trouble here @dabassgoesboomboom!

That’s a thread I’d be interested in reading…

over to you @dabassgoesboomboom.

.sjb

1 Like

Hey @mike see attached for WASAPI attempt - still static with a native DSD256 file, in lossless mode.

This weekend I MAY be able to try an iMac i5 Roon Core with this Mojo and maybe even an iFi iDSD (DSD512 capable) with my Surface Pro 4. That may tell me if it’s the SP4 or the Mojo that’s not playing nice. If I get a chance to try these tests.

Appreciate if in the mean time you can test the Mojo with Windows 10 via a straight USB connection, no ethernet (and no Poly) involved. If you had access to a Surface Pro 4 that would be even better too.

Cheers, Sean