Chord Qutest DAC - I'd want to drive it higher than 96KHz

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MBP 2018 CORE I9 0080A88D-4297-4767-BE24-1A82114EB932
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WIFI

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MBP to Qutest DAC via usb to intergrated and speakers

Description Of Issue
Hi there
I am using a Qutest DAC and the highest color I can seem to get out of it is green 96khz ( see Morrisey track ) the majority of the rest of time its red 44.1khz ( see 258B track ). The DAC goes all the way to purple 768khz and white DSD. How can I get up to these outputs.
Thanks
Sean

Hi @Sean_Flynn,

If you wish Roon to upsample the audio you have to enable that in Roon’s DSP section.

Check out these Roon Knowledge Base pages:

Regards,
Carl

1 Like

Chord recommends feeding their dacs the original source file. Their internal upsampling should be better than using roon’s. No reason to upsample first. If you want hirer than 96k, you can use Qobuz for files up to 192k. They also recommend using cd quality over MQA.

Obviously these are just recommendations, so feel free to experiment if you want.

3 Likes

Hi @Sean_Flynn,

As others have mentioned, the reason why you are seeing the green/red colors instead of the purple is because Roon is sending the native sample rate to the DAC. Some user’s prefer to keep the native rate and others prefer to up-sample everything to the maximum PCM/DSD rate, which you can do so via the DSP options:

It’s a matter of personal preference, so I would experiment a bit and see which option you prefer.

1 Like

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into this so say its better left as is?

Thanks
Sean

1 Like

Hi there

Thanks for reply I will check Qobuz out.
Sean

Hi Noris

Thanks for the reply and screen grabs. I will check this out and experiment a little to see is native better or not.
Sean

1 Like

I am using a Qutest connected to my Roon Bridge and can upsample as high as PCM 768 and DSD 256. I had some drops at DSD 256 (PCM 768 fine), my Roon ROCK Core is only an i3 NUC and I am playing with DSD 128 as my sweet spot. You should be able to go int DSP upsample settings and customize the upsample to your hearts desire.

Enjoy he Qutest, it is an awesome DAC!

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the reply.After a bit of testing I think the Qutest sounds better with the native feed and no upsampling within Roon.I think Chord say this is the way to go themselves. I am finding better separation, imaging going native.
Sean

If you upsample to 768k, you end up bypassing Chord’s own upsampler that Rob Watt has worked so hard on perfecting. Think if you go lower, then you feed a different upsampled file and gets re-upsampled. So that’s why should be best with the native file.

2 Likes

I agree.
Just feed the Qutest the native file resolution, and let Rob’s magic WTA do the rest.

1 Like

It seems the Qutest upsamples on its own.

See the section on noise shapers in this article -

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.