Chromecast Audio drops out a lot!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP 451+ (8Gb) Roon 1.7 build 521

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

mixed wifi and Gigabit ethernet cabled. Wifi to Sonos and CHromecast Audio and ethernet to multiple rPi3 running RopieeeXL

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

the problem is with the Chromecast using a 3.5mm jack to powered speaker

Description Of Issue

So the Chromecast audio (which is about 6 ft from my router) drops out frequently, the other devices don’t. Ive tried streaming files, as well as local (mp3 and FLAC) and the behaviour is the same. The other wireless devices don’t drop at all (Sonos). Any ideas why ? it’s not wireless strength (I can replace the chrome case with an old iPhone for example and it plays fine) and I’m at a loss where else to look

TIA

Hello @Mark_Round,

Are you playing high resolution content or using Roon’s DSP engine? If so, you may be running into this known issue with the Chromecast Audio

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/610684?hl=en

If this isn’t the case, I would try temporarily running your Roon Core on a Mac or PC in your household to see if this makes a difference.

-John

John - I am using the Roon DSP to translate the FLAC files (which are CD Rips) to play - but I also get drop outs playing Tidal Streams and Streamed radio - which I don’t think are 24/96 (unless it’s the Roon making them so)

Ok, so a load of poking around - and Roon does try and make everything 24/96! I have disabled 96khz in the DSP settings (telling it to map it to 48khz instead) and will retest!

many many thanks for that link - I had not managed to find it when searching (either on the Roon site or with google!)

Mark

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.