Chromecast Audio Intermittently available as end point in Roon App

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Lenova Yoga 900/Windows 10/127.0.0.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Virgin Media Hub 3.0/5Ghz Wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chromecast Audio connected by optical lead into Audiolab 8200CDQ

Description Of Issue

The Chromecast endpoint is intermittently available to select within the audio zones in Roon. Its the same on my PC and with the app on my Android phone. Sometimes it is there, and then I lose it. I’m not sure why.

I can connect to the Chromecast no problem from Spotify. It connect every time. I can also ping the Chromecast from my PC. But it doesn’t show up in Roon.

Hello @Nick_Solomon,

Some research suggests that the Virign Media Hub 3 can cause issues with Multicast networking, this is where I would start troubleshooting. You can see similar issues by google’ing “Virgin Media Hub 3 Chromecast” or “Virgin Media Hub 3 Sonos”.

You can find some troubleshooting steps in these threads:

-John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the late reply. It does look to be a problem with the Virgin hub. I have to turn the hub off and on again and then it will find the Chromecast. Haven’t found a better solution yet, so if anything comes up from other posts please let me know.

Thanks

Nick

Hi @Nick_Solomon,

I would check for any “multicast” or “IGMP Snooping” or “IGMP Proxying” settings, these have helped with multicast issues in the past.

If this setting does not help, then a standard consumer-grade router is suggested and then placing the Hub into “Bridge Mode” where it functions just as a modem and leaves the router function to another device.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.