Chromecast Devices can no longer be enabled in Roon

Your very wrong here. This has nothing to do with Chromecast devices at all. That is all about Roon ready certification not Chromecasts. Roon Ready is when an appliance uses Roons own code on the machine and uses Roons streaming protocol RAAT. Manufacturers where releasing bad unfinished code in products so thet tightened up on certification. Chromecast is not Roon Ready it’s classed as Roon Tested which is very different and unaffected by the change to certification as they are not certified at all by Roon some are tested such as the official Google products some are not but this bares no relation to them stopping working or working in the first place. Roon continues to support Chromecast as a protocol to stream to tested or otherwise as I have several untested devices that have Chromecast built in and all work and are seen.

As for no warning all Roon ready partners were given over a year to get their ship in order to reach certification and some still failed, customers got a good few months warning. Apple nor Google would allow Airplay or Chromecast on a product if it didn’t work to the specs it should. Roon is doing the same. But as I said the thread you posted has zero to do with your problem and Chromecasts. Sony has never been a Roon partner and has only worked with Chromecast and still does.

1 Like

Greetings CrystalGipsy Simon, As for the truth, I will not argue, but it does not work for me exactly as indicated in the link to Roon, in the previous post. Read carefully what is written there. I can additionally give a link to the Russian authoritative source:

Sorry but it’s wrong.very wrong. It’s only to do with Roon ready devices which Sony never has nor likely will release. I have a Sony TV works with Roon via Chromecast. I suggest you do your research a little more thoroughly.

CrystalGipsy Simon, Cromecast also works for me, via Google cast. Doesn’t work only with Roon.

Yes and I have had issues from time to time with Roon and Chromecast but it’s nothing to do with the post you put up at all. This is either some network interaction or bug that’s not showing in the majority of users and yours is an edge case.

Are you using any VPN at all? I have seen some odd behaviour when a Vpn is active on the same network also mDNS repeaters in routers have also thrown things off.

1 Like

Hi PVAS_Roonin,

I too have this very issue and it seemed to occur at the same time as you previously stated.

I have a Sony SRS-X99 and can see it within the Roon Android and Windows apps but can’t enable it.

I can enable Airplay in the SRS-X99 like you. I can also enable a Google smart speaker using Chromecast and plays just fine.

I have the Roon core/ server running on a Qnap NAS and have updated the OS to 5.0 and the recently released Roon version as of today 23/10/21.

I have downloaded the logs from the Roon server and can see a “CAST_INIT_TIMEOUT” error.

See the image below.

Hi Andrew_Mueller.
We, users of Sony SRS-X99, will either have to contact Sony support, which is more likely to be ineffective, or switch to another player. Roon is more likely to stick to its policies. I am already trying different options. And there are prospects.

Roon V1.6 is outdated. Try to correct that first and update to the current version. You should have seen update available notification already

Hi Klaus_M_Meier.
This has already been verified, the result is the same. And the reason is already clear.

I think the SRS-X99 supports Airplay - have you tried enabling the Airplay connection to the SRS-X99 in Roon and using that instead of Chromecast?

1 Like

Hi Geoff_Coupe.
I’m sorry, but you probably did not read the first posts. Airplay works fine, but its quality (16-bit limitation and 24-bit file transcoding) does not suit me. This is a flawed Hi-Res.

I had a temporary failure of CCA with my Onkyo 740. It would not show up as CC device until I completely shut down the entire network and restarted everything from the scratch piece by piece. I have some 25 devices in my network of which are 8 parts of my Roon audio network.
IMHO there is no connection between the announcement of Roon to employ their zero tolerance policy and the disappearance of CCA from your network

My Sony SRS-X99 has not disappeared from the network. And Roon sees it, but doesn’t connect. As it should be, according to the description of Roon himself.

My Onkyo was visible for all other services except CCA, same situation as yours. Sorry, I did not mention that clearly enough.

Hello everybody.
Problem solved successfully.

Hi PVAS_Roonin,

Please explain how you have managed resolve this.

Thanks
Andrew

Hi All,

I have updated the firmware to 1.60.3351 this has resolved the Chromecast issue.

Please be aware after updating the SRS-X99 you need to disconnect the ethernet cable connection and then use the wireless connection first time you attempt to use Chromecast or it won’t connect or work.

Hope this helps others.

1 Like