Roon Core Machine

Latest version of Roon
Mac mini late 2012
macOS Catalina
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8GB ram
Connected to Ethernet port directly at the Router

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Xfinity WiFi router / cable modem (I have also tried it with another WiFi router with the Xfinity router in Bridged mode)
TrendNet Gigabit Switch

Connected Audio Devices

RoPieee endpoint connected to Rotel A12 Mk12 DAC via WiFi
RoPieee endpoint with HifiBerry Dac+ via WiFi

1 Google Nest Audio connected using Chromecast and WiFi
1 Google Nest 1st gen connected using Chromecast and WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

6100 tracks
Qobuz streaming

Description of Issue

I am having an issue with the 2 Chromecast devices losing their connection to Roon, it seems to happen very randomly and will do it during a song with nothing occuring that is obvious to me.

The 2 RoPieee endpoints will play for as long as you allow them to without issue, they are all on the same WiFi network with line of sight to the router so the signal is not the issue.

I replaced the WiFi router with another and the problem continued to occur.

Restarting the Roon core application immediately restores the connection and allows the zone to be selected for an undetermined amount of time.

Do you know if the Nest devices are connecting via the 2.4 GHz WiFi band or the 5 GHz WiFi band? Are the Nest devices farther away from the Xfinity router than the RoPieee endpoints, and do you know what WiFi band the RoPieees are using?

There is a combination, one of the Nest’s is the first version so only supports 2.4 GHz, the other supports both and is using 5 GHz. The nests are much closer to the router with the 5 GHz one being less than 2 feet from the router the other is a bit further away but only by a room.

There is a similar combination on the RoPieee endpoints with one running on 2.4 GHz and the other on 5GHz, both of these are considerably further from the router but have streamed continuously for 8 - 10 hours at a time.

I had initially thought that the 2.4GHz was the issue so purchased a newer nest device and the problem still occurs with the new device so I am not sure where to go next.

I have read that a number of people have issues with Xfinity routers, but I don’t have personal experience with them. My only guidance is that service provider routers tend to be less capable than third-party devices, both in performance and in management of the network.

When everything is running fine, are you able to see the devices on the Xfinity router in its management pane? And then when either the Roon Core or the Nest device stops working are the devices still visible to the router?

Also, how many devices do you have connected at a time on WiFi? I noticed with my then-teenagers in my house I was starting to see significantly more connected devices (almost 30 when everyone is home, counting some IoT devices and all the phones, tablets, laptops, etc.). Some routers just can’t keep up with managing the larger number of always-on WiFi devices. If you have a many connected devices, even if they consume small amounts of bandwidth, it may be overloading the Xfinity router. Seems odd, but it may be another factor.

In answer to your questions, yes the devices were all still visible in the router config.

BUT… unfortunately I think you may be right in your assessment, I looked into it more and had almost 50 devices hanging off the router (mix of wired and WiFi).

I ended up purchasing an ASUS router and so far everything has been stable on the chromecast devices for a couple of days and we have a happy Roon environment :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s stable for you now @jdubbs.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.