Cirrus7 fanless i7, will it work?

Supported NUCs, and how the naming works: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

2 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s useful for how the naming works. Itā€™s slightly confusing/out of date for supported NUCs, though -

2 Likes

Hi James

Yes the NUC7i7DN** is supported.

Iā€™m not in the UK but from a quick and dirty Google search it looks like it may be BLKNUC7I7DNH3E for the UK?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-nuc-7-kit-nuc7i7dnhe-i7-8650u-vpro-ddr4-so-dimm-m2-pcie-25-sata3-bay-intel-uhd-620-2x-hdmi-20

Iā€™m not 100% sure so please do a look around at other authorised UK sellers to confirm.

Yes thatā€™s really all thatā€™s involved. Taking the motherboard out of the original NUC case and putting it into the Akasa case, and just connecting the plugs etc. Instructions of what to connect to what come with the Akasa case.

By the way, Quiet PC UK (where I bought the Akasa case from) can build the entire thing for you, with the correct NUCā€¦ Just contact them. You would just need to do the software (ROCK) install yourself.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Sean,

Thanks, very helpful - it looks like it was the 4 in the product code which was messing up the search in the U.K. - maybe the number part is regional? I searched for just NUC7i7DNHE and got a good number of results.

Thatā€™s good to know the case company can build it, would be great to just have to install ROCK!

2 Likes

No problems James. Happy to be of help.

Sean, did you put an internal music storage drive in your fanless build, or are you using an external HDD or NAS? Iā€™m toying with the idea of a 1tb internal storage drive, if it wonā€™t increase cooling requirementsā€¦?

Hi James,

No I donā€™t use an internal drive for music storage.

I just use an external USB3.0 4TB Western Digital Passport for actual music storage.

I have a Synology DS918+ NAS but itā€™s only for offline backup, so itā€™s off and unplugged from mains power most of the time. When my NAS is on, itā€™s only to add any new files and to do health scans of the drives and to data integrity scans (Btrfs file system).

Thanks. Iā€™ve been running core on an old Windows laptop and using a Synology DS415play as my music store, but I donā€™t have a huge local library (mainly using Tidal for new music these days) so I was thinking of putting in a 1tb m.2 SSD - was just wondering if there were any heat implications, with this being a fanless buildā€¦

In case you run ROCK the m.2 is used for ROCK system only, cannot be used for storage of music.

3 Likes

Good catch. I missed this part.

Thanks Peter, I didnā€™t know there was only one m.2 slot in these. So I would just use an ordinary SATA III SSD for the storage drive?

Yes use SATA for music storage.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t have to be an SSD for music storage; an ordinary SATA HDD will do equally well. The advantages of using SSD are a) silent operation and b) greater storage capacity in the same physical form factor. The disadvantage is that you pay a premium for SSD over HDDā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks geoff - I was looking at an SSD for storage to keep everything nice and silent.

Something like this will work. Prices have come down a little the last few years (not as much as I thought but a little).

Itā€™s a larger capacity version of what I installed too:

2 Likes

Ahh the Samsung price drops Iā€™ve been waiting for the last few years are finally coming with the QVO line - coming soon.

1 Like

Thanks, the first drive is a great price in the UK. The QVO doesnā€™t appear to be available in a 2TB in the UK yet.

1 Like

What is CPU frequency during playback?

I donā€™t have it anymore so I canā€™t check.

Anyone now really using a cirrus device? Can you recommend it? Or would you suggest something else?