Classical Music under Roon

I think Classical music under Roon is far from perfect. It lacks a lot of fields which are fundamental to classical music like conductor, orchestra, performer and record company,… etc.

I would suggest to add a section called Classical Music in addition to Browse, Collection in the drop down menu. Under Classical Music, it should have items like Genre, Composer, Performer, Orchestra, Record Company (or Label), Chorus. It allows classical music lovers to easily filter the selection.

These are few examples how I choose to listen to classical music:

1. Chamber Music (Genre) -> Bartok (Composer) -> String Quartet No.1 (Work)
  2. Karajan (Conductor) -> Berliner Philharmoniker (Orchestra) -> Beethoven (Composer) -> Symphony No.9
  3. Brendel (Performer) -> Concerto (Genre) -> Mozart -> Piano Concerto No. 20
  4. Mozart -> Opera -> The Marriage of Figaro

At the moment Roon does not allow me to do it easily. I would like to see the future version of Roon that when I choose Genre like Chamber Music, the screen will show all the performers under Chamber Music, composer under Chamber Music so that I can perform the above selections easily.

Also, I hope Roon to have an option that Classical Music and non-Classical Music library are mutually exclusive. For example, when I click on a particular Genre under non-Classical Music, I am not interested to see Opera or Symphony in the list. Similar, when I click on Performer, I do not like to see Michael Jackson or Beatles inside the list as well.

I

1 Like

Coincidentally I was looking at Classical also today. I am not an expert by any stretch but I found focus e.g. on chamber music to be pretty easy to do.

Did you use focus yet?

My main point is that for classical music, you need to specify a few different fields to locate the work you want to listen unlike non classical music.

1 Like

As somebody who does not listen to classical, I do not want to see “Classical” as a main item on the left menu along with browse and collection

That is fine. We can make it an option.

1 Like

All those fields are there, in album credits. You can then click on them all to focus on them. Can you explain a bit more what you need? The need for some kind of browser for all credits has already been mentioned elsewhere. Do you perhaps mean something like that? (For example, a browser of record labels. I’d like that.)

I don’t think they’ll be making such an entry in the bar on the left. But you can do it yourself easily with bookmarks. Anything can be bookmarked, and along with the focus ability in all browsers, there is a huge amount of power already available.

[quote=“adyc100, post:1, topic:742”]
These are few examples how I choose to listen to classical music:

Chamber Music (Genre) -> Bartok (Composer) -> String Quartet No.1 (Work)
Karajan (Conductor) -> Berliner Philharmoniker (Orchestra) -> Beethoven (Composer) -> Symphony No.9
Brendel (Performer) -> Concerto (Genre) -> Mozart -> Piano Concerto No. 20
Mozart -> Opera -> The Marriage of Figaro

At the moment Roon does not allow me to do it easily. I would like to see the future version of Roon that when I choose Genre like Chamber Music, the screen will show all the performers under Chamber Music, composer under Chamber Music so that I can perform the above selections easily.[/quote]

The selections above are all quite easy to make, but in doing them for myself I can see a few gaps. Specifically:

• Genre pages needs to have a Composers section.
  • Composers pages Text filter box needs to be applied to “Form” metadata as well as titles. And/Or there should be buttons for all the detected forms in the two lines where the Sort out/Filter box and 1-50, 51-100 buttons are currently.
  • Collaborations could usefully link to a focus on albums with both performers/artists.
  • Browser(s) for other credits such as Label.

(@mike - let’s discuss these)

[quote=“adyc100, post:1, topic:742”]
Also, I hope Roon to have an option that Classical Music and non-Classical Music library are mutually exclusive. For example, when I click on a particular Genre under non-Classical Music, I am not interested to see Opera or Symphony in the list. Similar, when I click on Performer, I do not like to see Michael Jackson or Beatles inside the list as well.[/quote]
This can be achieved already in the Artists Browser: Focus on Genre (with +/- for include/exclude).

Keep the ideas coming!

1 Like

I’ve found a few oddities in Classical. for instance, browsing Genres–>Classical–> there’s a sub-genre called Keyboard. which is nice, and contains a lot of the usual suspects Murray Perahia, Richard Goode, Byron Janis, Ashkenazy…

but the image for this section is Billy Joel. and the genre also includes Keith Jarrett. which is fine i guess, since both have made classical recordings (although Joel’s was a stretch, and I don’t own it). clicking on the BJ link takes me to his complete catalog, no classical.

and I also see entries for Dick Hyman? and Charlie Haden, who did not play keyboards, nor did he play classical music.

and Mozart…listed as a performer?

1 Like