Click between tracks using Musical Fidelity MX DAC [Artifacts] [Solved]

Pleased to hear you are click free Steve.

A NAS is probably in my future (currently using an SSD on board the BRIX). Would you mind sharing the names and models of your old and new NAS ?

Happy to Andybob!

My old NAS (actually had several) were Iomega 2 TB Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Editions In the interest of not being too disparaging, Iā€™ll just say that Iā€™m very, very happy to be retiring them and leave it at that.

To replace them I got a QNAP TS-451, with 4 GM RAM, and no disks. For disks I got three (3) Western Digital Red 3TB NAS Hard Drives , 3.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, model WD30EFRX. Iā€™ve got them arrayed as Raid 5 for just at 6 GB storage. And in the empty fourth bay of the QNAP NAS I put a Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive, model SV300S37A/240G. Itā€™s used a a cache for the NAS, and the speed is AMAZING. If you are browsing with some kind of file explorer, and click a folder, the results are INSTANT. You almost have to see it to believe it.

And finally - and the NAS purists will give me a hard time about this - I got a Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive, model STBV5000100. Iā€™ve got that plugged into the NAS, and configured some backup jobs that - over the course of a week - backup the entire contents of the NAS to the external disk.

I cannot say enough good things about this awesome little QNAP NAS. My ONLY caveat would be that while itā€™s not a part of QNAPā€™s ā€œProā€ series, anyone that is not somewhat technical could easily find themselves in over their heads. Itā€™s about as sophisticated as any NAS I could imagine thatā€™s being sold as a NAS for home use.

This particular NAS has FAR more features/abilities than I need. However, itā€™s also very highly rated for reliability. So I put up with having more features than I need. Itā€™s wicked fast, stable, and flexible. And for me, thatā€™s perfect. :slight_smile:

Final pointā€¦ just based on my brief, very satisfied experience with this NAS, Iā€™d highly recommend QNAP products. They sell some 2-bay mirrored NASā€™s that Iā€™d give a hard look at if I needed something less expensive.

Hope that helps.

1 Like