Clicking/Popping noise playing Tidal/Qobuz

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.15.5. Roon v1.7, Build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google Mesh wifi. One mesh unit connect by ethernet cable to MiniDSP SHD.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MiniDSP SHD with Volumio as Roon Endpoint

Description Of Issue

Intermittent issue. Here occasional clicking/popping/glitching while streaming music from Qobuz or Tidal. Does not happen while using Volumio for streaming. Have attached photo of my signal path.

Incident happened at following times, for example:

July 14, 11:37pm playing “A Living Prayer” by Allison Krauss on Qobuz
July 14, 11:42pm playing “A Living Prayer” by Allison Krauss on Qobuz
July 14, 11:44pm playing “There is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths

Hi @Eli_Kirschner,

Welcome to the forum!

Does the issue only occur on the MiniDSP zone?
Are you using the latest firmware for this zone?
If you try to start playback to your Mac’s System Output zone, do you notice the issue there at all?

Yes, this issue only occurs on the MiniDSP zone. (As far as I can tell. It’s intermittent so some brief testing showed that the issue only happens with MiniDsp zone).
Roon v1.7, Build 571 is what I have. I think that’s the latest version.

Hi @Eli_Kirschner,

Thanks for confirming it’s just the MiniDSP zone.
Does the issue also occur when you play local content, or just when playing TIDAL/Qobuz?
If you don’t have much local content, you can download a few samples from the 2L Test Bench (right-click on the file size -> save as).

Yes, the issue also occurs playing local content. I downloaded two song from 2L Test Bench and it happened on both while playing through SHD.

1 Like

Thanks for giving that a try @Eli_Kirschner.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Once these logs are received, I will discuss with the technical team to see if there are any other clues as to the cause of the behavior in logs.

Thanks.

6:14pm PST, I’m playing “a case of you” by Diana Krall from Tidal and the error is occurring.

1 Like

Hi @Eli_Kirschner,

Thanks for your patience while I had a chance to consult with your technical team regarding your case.
They have mentioned that since the MiniDSP is not a certified Roon Ready endpoint yet, we cannot comment on how this device would work with Roon just yet. If you are experiencing clicks/pops, we suggest reaching out directly to the MiniDSP support team for further assistance.

any idea when Minidsp will be certified?

Hi @Eli_Kirschner,

Generally, we can’t comment on certification progress. Certification is a collaboration between two companies and requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company.

If you reach out directly to the manufacturer, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks.

I have the same issue and the same endpoint, did you find a solution to this?

It only started happening after I switched from running roon core on my PC to a NUC, both run windows 10. On the other PC it has never had a single click or glitch, now it sounds like a scratched record…

Unfortunately not. I did switch over to Audirvana as an alternative to Roon and have not had the issue. It operates in the same way. It’s not quite as polished as Roon but is close enough and seems to work without the popping.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.