Cloning or Copying a ROON ROCK NUC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROON ROCK Intel NUC8i5BEH Roon v1.7-b537. Internal 1.9 TB SSD with my whole music library.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Cabled Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

ROCK --> USB cable --> DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC F5) --> Stereo HiFi system

Description Of Issue

Sorry I am a newbee to Roon so perhaps there already is an answer to my question. But I couldn’t find it.

I and my brother have “pooled” our music both using Sonos. I upgraded to Roon and of course my old Sonos is just collecting dust, whereas my brother continued with his Sonos.
But now his Sonos broke down and I convinced him of upgrading to Roon.
I want to “clone” my Roon Rock, so my brother can be up-n-running in no time (he is NOT technical), clone meaning copying my Music library to his SSD.
-Can I copy my SSD music library to his SSD (\ROCK\Data\Storage\InternalStorage\Music) before installing his SSD into his NUC?
His NUC is the same as mine = Intel NUC8i5BEH (both with 16 GB RAM).

I think this will be the easiest way.

Otherwise I would have to assemble his Roon-NUC completely and insert it into my network - but can you have two different cores on the same network?
And what happens when I physically move his NUC from my network to his network - I mean IP addresses etc will be very different on his network?

Hope you can help! :slight_smile:

If that’s all you mean by ‘clone’ then no problem. Roon never touches music files, it only reads the files.

Yes, many people do, but only one can be active at any one time.

No problem, as long as you haven’t set a static IP inside ROCK…
I forget whether ROCK lets one set a static IP, but one should never do that anyway.

@xxx - thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi Slim_Fishguttz
I now tried to do it IRL, and it doesn’t work.
I made a new Roon Rock NUC (installed OS and codecs) with the 1.9 TB SSD premounted - and before premount, this SSD was formattet with NTFS and I made a folder in the root = \Music - and then copied all music from my Roon to this SSD-folder.

Should I have made some different folders on the SSD ?
I would prefer not to start from scratch again as it took 1.5 hours to copy the whole music library.

Cannot add comments, as this topic has been closed:

Yeah, support closed the thread because they believed that I had answered it and as far as it went I had.

From your description it seems like you have only one drive in your NUC. Is this true?

If this is true, then I am reading that before you put ROCK on the drive you copied all your music to it.
Is this true?

If I have mis-read your description and you have two drives, one for ROCK and one for your music files, then the question is - what does the ROCK WEB GUI say about the drive that you think your music files are on?

Yes there are two disks: a small SSD for Roon OS + a large SSD for the music.
ROCK web GUI reports: “Internal Music Storage - Not Ready - 1920GB, KINGSTON SA400S3” and I am only given the opportunity by the button to “Format”.

I think it’s going to turn out that you need to format the disk in ROCK before you can use it.

Since you took some time to copy the music there, don’t act on this until the professionals have their say.

I’m asking @support to open up the original thread. They’ll help you there.

1 Like

To help others in the same situation and to make it all clear to Support, I have re-written my post, so hopefully now it is detailed and perfectly clear:

AIM
Copy the complete music library from one ROCK to another ROCK, from Source-ROCK (SROCK) to Target-ROCK (TROCK). In my case to help my non-technical brother to migrate from Sonos to ROON. We both started with Sonos and pooled our music. Naturally with ROON I am not looking back :blush:

SETUP
SROCK = Intel NUC8i5BEH + 16 GB RAM + 240 GB OS SSD (M.2) + 1.9 TB SSD (SATA) internal.
TROCK = Intel NUC8i5BEH + 16 GB RAM + 240 GB OS SSD (M.2) + 1.9 TB SSD (SATA) internal.
Apart from very minor details the two ROCKs are identical.
Extra (normal) PC with Win10-64-Pro (+ separate SSD with Linux Kubuntu, dual-boot) used for managing the whole process.
+Hard Disk Docking Station (USB 3.0, Dual SATA/SSD 2.5"/3.5", With Off-line Clone Function, Brand: Nedis, Vendor Part Number: HDDUDB3300BK).

FIRST Attempt – Unsuccessful
Used PC to format TROCK’s SATA-SSD with NTFS, mounting the SSD in the Nedis Docking Station.
Then creating a \Music folder in the root of the newly formattet SSD.
Now copying music library from SROCK to TROCK’s SATA-SSD folder \Music (this took 1.5 hours, approx. 430 GB).
Finally installing the SATA-SSD into the TROCK. Result: TROCK reports “OS OK, Roon DB & Settings OK, Roon Server Software OK – BUT Internal Music Storage Not Ready” the 1920GB SSD is seen by ROCK but it wants to format it.

SECOND Attempt – Unsuccessful
Mounted SROCKs and TROCKs 1.9 TB SSD into the NEDIS and tried an off-line cloning. Nothing seemed to happen; note that this is the first time I tried to use the Nedis for off-line cloning.
Installed Target-SSD into TROCK, keeping the Source-SSD in the Nedis.
Window Disk Manager can see the SSD in the Nedis, but cannot use it and no drive letter is assigned. This is similar to Disk 1 which is my Linux SSD, Windows cannot detect the FS (file system) and no letter is assigned. I conclude that this must be why the Nedis couldn’t perform the copying.

THIRD Attempt – Succcessful (I hope)
SSDs back into the two ROCKs. TROCK: let ROCK OS format the 1.9 TB SSD.
Now both ROCKs on the LAN, 192.168.1.165 resp. 192.168.1.128. Used file manager (Total Commander happens to be my favorite, but you can just use Win File Explorer) to copy from SROCK to TROCK. In 1 hour I will know for sure if it’s successful.
My conclusion: this is the ONLY way to “clone” a complete music library from one ROCK to another.

2 Likes

Yes it worked! (couldn’t edit my last post)

1 Like

Hi @Palle_Sorensen,

Glad to hear the last option worked! Yes, you will need to format the drive via the WebUI prior to using it with ROCK/Nucleus. In any case, glad to hear you managed to resolve it, do let us know if you have further issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.