Compatibility Issue between System and Decoder (V90) - Requesting Assistance (ref#VKIXSV)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

My device used to show up in Settings > Audio, now it's gone

hI have conducted multiple experiments, and the comparative results are as follows, leading me to strongly suspect that there might be a compatibility issue between the system and the decoder. My decoder is a V90, and I need your assistance.

1. Laptop + QQ Music + 3.5mm RCA cable works fine.
2. Laptop with Roon + local music + 3.5mm RCA works fine.
3. Laptop + QQ Music + DAC + amplifier + speakers works fine.
4. Laptop + Roon + DAC + amplifier results in distorted music.
5. NUC + Euphony + Roon + HQPlayer + DAC results in distorted music.

My decoder is a V90, and the configuration for HQ is a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, with output at 24-bit and below 96 kHz.

Are you referring to a Musical Fidelity V90?

A screenshot of Roon’s signal path might help

I estimate that there will definitely be users of Roon with a V90 decoder, but I don’t know why I’m encountering this issue.

Another model laptop+roon+v90dac

It appears that the Roon system has not successfully identified the V90 DAC. May I ask if Roon official can offer any support for this issue?

I would not worry about the identification. It would only give you a fancy icon.

I see you have it set to exclusive mode, good

I would set volume to fixed as I’m sure this DAC does not give volume control.

On that same screen, scroll down to show advanced and set to fixed/full volume.

Hello,thanks for you reply ,I set the volume through the amplifier, but the current issue is that the music decoded by the decoder is severely distorted, with a lot of electronic noise and static. I suspect it might be a compatibility issue with the Roon system."

I mean, if for some reason Roon has reduced volume to the DAC, with it being set to ‘device volume’ it can affect sound quality.

Having the volume set to ‘fixed’ and forced to full it removes that being an issue.

Although saying this, this DAC doesn’t have volume control so wouldn’t matter. Setting it as I mention removes that possibility.

I also notice you have no headroom setup with Roon. Maybe turning this on could help.

Turn on the clipping indicator also

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. The phrase “the interface’s WASAPI exclusive mode”—is that correct?

This will help

I tried to make changes according to your guidance, adjusting to a fixed volume, but it still didn’t work. So I conducted other tests using my NUC.When I use the embedded Roon system with HQplayer, my settings are as follows, but the output is still distorted, even though HQplayer has already accessed the decoder’s relevant input ports.I am at my wit’s end

I don’t see the Headroom being set in Roon on the signal path

@otto.ixy, maybe posting to the HQ Player category would be helpful if @Menzies’ suggestion about the Headroom being set does not resolve your issue. The developer of HQ Player, jussi_laako, is active in that category.

2 Likes

@Robert_F at first I was thinking HQP being a factor. However, @otto.ixy test 4. is without it in the audio path.

I’m still thinking headroom is worth a shot with clipping indicator being activated.

Distortion not present in their other tests suggests, but present with both Roon tests, points at Roon, partially.

@otto.ixy could you try this test again without HQP?

1 Like

Hello.

I am currently using clipping, and I have found it to be effective. When the headroom is continuously adjusted from -3dB to -14.5dB, there is a noticeable improvement in the distortion. However, through the link you provided, I was unable to find where to view the “Watch out for the Clipping” section in the link, which leaves me uncertain whether the issue has been completely resolved and whether further adjustment is necessary.

“I am currently facing a new issue. In the setup of laptop + Roon + DAC, adjusting the MuSE parameter to -18.5 dB makes the noise virtually inaudible. So I tried to see if the setup of NUC + Roon + HQplayer + DAC would still work effectively. As I gradually increased the parameter from 0 dB upwards, the effect also improved. However, it seems that the Roon system only supports up to -30 dB, at which point there is still some distortion present. I wonder how I should address this issue? Here is a screenshot of my settings.”

If you change your -30dB to 0 and with the clipping indicator set to on as you have, if there is clipping the signal path light with go red.

Screenshot_20240324-072801

I’d then maybe turn to volume levelling and set to auto. This will then adjust the gain level accordingly.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-what-s-volume-leveling#:~:text=If%20volume%20leveling%20is%20enabled,the%20settings%20(gear)%20icon.

The clipping indicator may turn red, and then I’d add the Headroom in and adjust at -3dB increments.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.