Compatibility of Apple Mac Mini-formatted External USB Drive with Roon Nucleus (ref#OPFYJ3)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I'm interested in the new Roon Nucleus. My music is currently on an external USB drive formatted for an Apple Mac Mini. If I plug that drive into the new Nucleus, will it be able to read the drive?

It depends on the current format of the external USB.

From this link:

Devices connected directly to Nucleus by USB

If your music is stored on an external USB drive, plug it into your Nucleus now. Nucleus supports USB drives pre-formatted as EXT2/3/4, VFAT/FAT32/FAT16/exFAT, NTFS, or HFS/HFS+. Note that HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) is read-only, which means that the Nucleus will not be able to make changes or store new music on the USB drive.

If the drive is HFS+ it can read the drive but not write to it.

If it can read HFS+ can it copy the files on my external drive to a new drive installed in the Nucleus and use my Roon backup file to have access to my database, playlists, etc.?

No. There only way to copy music to a Nucleus internal drive is over the network. You cannot plug in a USB drive to a Nucleus and copy it directly to the internal drive.

Also, you cannot use the internal drive of a nucleus as a place to create database backups, store database backups, etc. You will need a network location for the backups, or an exFAT formatted USB drive plugged into the Nucleus for the database backups.

Ok. So if my music files are on an external drive connected to a Mac on my network, the Nucleus can see that drive and copy files from it? Understand backup needs to be on a separate drive. Thx.

Not really. Your other PC can see the Nucleus internal drive and you would need to use that other computer to copy files To the nucleus.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.