Compatibity with Aurender

I’d like to use Roon with my Aurender A20. Is there a way to do that?

Since the Aurender A20 isn’t a Roon Ready network streamer, you won’t be able to use it with Roon except as a standalone DAC, i.e., connecting one of its digital inputs to a Roon Ready streamer.

You could add a RPi with a co-ax HAT running RoPieee into one of the coax inputs, sorta defeats the server nature of it though

Together, Roon and Aurender deliver a powerful and flexible networked audio experience!

2 Likes

I have an Aurender N20, running latest software, latest version of Conductor. Why o why is the Roon option not there under Settings, Streaming?

1 Like

Im interessed in an N20. But roon ready needs to work! Also interrssed about sonic comparison to conductpr app and switching between them while listening …

I’ve been in the Roon ecosystem for years. Evolved from a Raspberry running Ropiee to Auralic G1, Lumin U1 Mini, Hegel H590, SOtM sMS-200ultra neo, Sonore OpticalRendu, Esoteric N05XD, all Roon endpoints, to a Grimm MU1. The Grimm was the best of everything.

Until a friend came with his N10. The N10 beat everything in realism, speed, separation, decay.

So I decided to leave Roon and go to the Aurender ecosystem. When seeking a used N10 I got lucky and found a used N20. Sold the Grimm and stayed loyal to the Aurender since.

I still believe the Aurender beats anything I’ve heard with Roon. But I am still curious what will happen if the Aurender starts swallowing RAAT. Part of the advantages of the Aurender will disappear- I have it equipped with an 8Gb internal SSD, and of course it caches the track playing on an isolated, dedicated SSD which it will not do when playing RAAT from another Roon Core.

I hope I get RAAT to work very soon, as I will be auditioning a Grimm MU2 in a few weeks. I’d then like to compare my Aurender N20/Chord Dave Combo to the Grimm MU2 with the Aurender running Conductor and the Aurender running as Roon Endpoint. Hope I get it to work on time.

1 Like

Im really excited about your findings. Looks like RAAT will degrade performance because of the externally roon rock compared to conductor locally, probably depends where that core will be placed in the system and how its connected to the network.
How is your N20 hooked up to the dave, AES?

In the meantime i ordered an audiophool music server. Reason i have a T+A DAC200 and want to use USB for Native DSD. The clock in the N20 will be for almost nothing when using USB. But who knows would need to test and compare… Could still if not happy only use it as roon core :slight_smile:

Imo the bottleneck of roon is the additional core in a separate unit. Alot of buyers prefer this music server that has a modified linux over an Grimm MU1 or Lumin U1/X1.

Still interessed in the N20 to :sweat_smile:

Btw: MU2 at munich 2023 was stellar. If starting from scratch, thats the unit I would choose first.

1 Like

I’ve tried all different connections between Dave and N20 and the best sounding one to my ears is SPDIF optical.

Second best is AES EBU but there I hear great differences between the AES EBU cables I use.

1 Like

Roon released new compatible components for Feb and still no update on compatibility with Aurender and the referenced video above is now private.

I’m holding out hope but will likely make some decision in coming months.

Still using my Aurender and getting more and more used to the Aurender Conductor interface. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it and I miss Roon less and less. What I miss most is Roon Radio. I tend to listen to the same list of music all the time and don’t discover much new.

Every now and then I check the settings as in the video above. Nothing. My Aurender N20 can still only act as endpoint to Roon through AirPlay and that really is a setback in my system. So my Roon server is off most of the time.

Today I lighted up after four months my Roon core and it kept on messing up my database. I had to reinstall backups. I have 15 backups and I tried them all. Each end up crashing. So now I am scanning my >50k tracks library from scratch and lose all my favorites and playlist history. Too bad Roon doesn’t somehow connect these to my Roon account. My backups apparently are screwed.

Oh well, I hope soon Aurender gets approval otherwise bye bye forever Roon. I forgot how much a pain Roon is when it won’t boot or has database problems. At least my Aurender always works, I spend five hours of my precious weekend getting Roon up and running.

1 Like

Aurender just put a software update in production, which brings Roon to Aurender! My N20 is playing Roon now, fantastic news!

1 Like

I connected an N20 to a Vivaldi DAC at home on a trial basis.
With the conductor 4 it plays DSF files fine and the DAC display simply shows DSD.
When I play the same files (or other DSF files) via Roon, it does not work.
Roon convert them to PCM, the LED then turns green in this case.
I’ve already tried all the settings but I can’t figure it out.
In Roon it is set to “default” and using the USB connection.
With XLR works everthing ok.
Does you have a suggestion where I should look?
Thank you in advance!

Another Roon N20 Bug -

Similar issue to that of my N20 connected to a Luxman DX-07 DAC/SACD Player. Previously I was using an Auralic Aries G1 w/Roon connect to the Luxman, I could use Roon MUSE upsampling and stream DSD to the Luxman DAC/Player (streaming to the USB input), no problem, the Luxman would accept and play the DSD Stream. All my Roon music was upsampled to DSD (again via Roon’s MUSE upsampling). It sounded phenominal.

Now with the N20 (it recently replaced the Auralic), the Conductor 4 app will not allow Roon to DSD upsample (using MUSE) and will not stream DSD from the N20 to the Luxman. Conductor displays an error message and says the (Luxman) USB input is not DSD compatible and willl not enable the Aurender DSD output, so there is some Conductor/N20 interfacing issues with the Luxman that the Auralic Aries G1 did NOT have. So for the time being, I am streaming via the SPDIF/Toslink connection upsampling to 192K.

Hopefully Aurender HW/Conduction SW/Roon can fix the DSD streaming issue to the Luxman DAC which adverstises universal DSD support to all streamers.

Please add this to the bug list Roon/Aurender for investigation and resolution, thank you.

1 Like

I send your issue tot Eric (Aurender).
Thanks!