Connect a Nucleus to a Synology DS216 NAS share

I sympathise… but stick with it…

If you’re happier starting again, go for it. Delete the NAS watched folder in Roon, copy (maybe some of - make sure it works) your files to the internal storage, then tell Roon where to look for them. If all is well, copy the remainder.

You need to tell Roon where to put database backups. The Roon database backups don’t include your media - but you’ve got that (partly) covered with the NAS mirror. Partly because a controller fault could destroy both disks - depending how worried you are you might need an offline/offsite copy too. (And sorry if you know this and I’ve misunderstood)

… it is working - you have playback - it’s just not playing from where you expected… :wink:

Yes I have the NAS in mirror and separate external hard drive copy

so to remove the watch folder is this the method :

settings>storage>folders>\megaMusic\Music (that is my NAS) and select from the 3 dots ??? some places say disable some say remove … which is it

then

home page> drag a few files to test … will Roon ask where to look or is that a another separate step

If I can get that far today I’d be happy and address the back up stuff tomorrow

Cool.

Yes. You want remove, because you’re not going to put it back. Disable allows you to reinstate a watched folder. It’s useful sometimes - I’ve used disable a couple of times when copying files into a folder so Roon doesn’t get confused trying to identify a part-copied album. One of the perils of an old (slow) NAS…

I don’t know. I’ve never tried it, and I’m not sure I’d trust the kb either.

Can you see the nucleus share in file explorer as @xxx outlined? (Or finder - are you pc or Mac?) if you can I’d copy a few files that way. Then go back to settings/folders and add/enable the Nucleus internal storage.

Getting a bit vague at this point - sorry - I’m running Roon Server on a W10 pc so can’t see what a Nucleus would present. I’m hoping it’s similar or obvious!

Andy thanks so much … I tested and it works - Sounding good - You are a genius

I have my music segregated in two folders:
1 - 16 bit files for low fi playing on my in Zone 2 “overhead” speakers
2 - 24 bit files for listening through my Zone 1 with Wilson / Mcintosh main system set up

Is there a way I can keep the files segregated?

Last question for today - I promise !!!

Glad it’s working!

There might be a smart way to segregate the files, but the simplest route I can think of is to add them as two separate watched folders, then use focus in album view to see one or the other. I think you might be able to bookmark the selection, but it’s not something I’ve tried. This is my watched folder selection…

I try adding watch folders but they go to my NAS not the internal SSD … what is the path?

settings> ???

Settings/storage/add folder?

I’d assume you should see something like this…

… that @xxx posted earlier (caveat - this is from a ROCK, not a Nucleus).

That’s what I tried but it doesn’t show the internal ssd … only my NAS - I clicked all over and can’t pull up the ssd … what am I missing?

Have you formatted the drive from the web administration interface?

Yes the ssd was formatted through the administrator - I test copied a few tracks to the ssd and it is all working - What I am trying to do is create two folders on the ssd … one for my 16 bit files and one for my 24 bit files

I go to settings>storage> folders> … then it shows my NAS … I want it to show my internal ssd so I can add the two watch folders … How do I find that location path?

Here’s the screen shot again … I want it to show the ssd not the NAS (MegaMusic)

Unsure… what do you see before you select ‘add folder’?

The usual window … After “add folder” Roon wants me to put in:
1 - Network Share Location (where do I find that)
2 - User name & Password (Is that my Roon Logon)
3 - WorkGroup (is that applicable?)

Before selecting add folder… this is what I see for my core on a W10 machine…

Thanks but your view doesn’t help … I need to get an answer to my question

1 - I go to settings>storage> folders> … then it shows my NAS … I want it to show my internal ssd so I can add the two watch folders … How do I find that location path?
2 - User name & Password (Is that my Roon Logon)
3 - WorkGroup (is that applicable?)

I know, but I think you are two steps along the wrong path… you don’t need that data - it’s not relevant to what you are trying to do.

I don’t know if Roon will let you create new folders on the internal storage from within Roon; you might need to do it from file explorer.

In any case - I think I’m five hours ahead of you, and I need some sleep!

Catch up in the morning…

[Sigh]

Once again. the internal drive will be in Settings==>Storage without you doing anything other than formatting it from the Web GUI.

See also the KB article linked here -

At this point, you’re just tangled up in your shorts. Take a blow and read the links I posted.

This can be done, although as I opined in another of you threads, I don’t know why that would be necessary except for that’s what you want to do. Right now that setup is beyond you.

To do what you want, you would have to disable the default internal storage file in Settings==>Storage and manually enter those separate directories, after you created them in something like File Explorer.

Outside my experience now…

Looks like focus segregation by folder will work for files on the NAS; it maybe won’t work from the Nucleus internal storage without a lot of faff. I guess you’re going to have to decide what’s most important to you.

You can’t create separate Watched folders on the internal storage of the Nucleus - it’s seen as a single contiguous Watched Folder by Roon. There is a workaround/fudge hinted at by @xxx, but as he says, you don’t want to go there.

In any event, you just don’t need to do this. You can always select just your 16bit or 24bit files separately if you wish. Roon knows they are different, and you can slice and dice on them using Focus:

3 Likes

It just needed a smart person to see it… :wink: