Connecting to Core while away from home

Sure thing.

My setup: I have the core running on the same box: a TS-451. If your core is elsewhere on your home network, I can’t guarantee this will work as I’m not able to test it.

You will need: A Dropbox account, or some other similar way to get a locally generated file on to your mobile phone.

1. Grab the QVPN app from the App Centre. It’s a QNAP developed app.

2. QVPN is really just an aggregator for different types and brands of VPN server. We’re going to use OpenVPN.
    Here’s the config screen:

If memory serves, everything there is set up as default. DO NOT change the VPN client IP pool to be the same as your local subnet.

3. Next we’re going to download the OpenVPN config file. Click on the button, save the file preferably to a Dropbox folder on your PC.

4. On your phone, you’ll want to install the OpenVPN Connect client.

5. If you haven’t already install Dropbox on your mobile and navigate to the folder you saved the config file in. Highlight the file and in the ellipsis menu (top right) choose Save to Device. Save this in a folder on your phone such as Download.

6. Open the OpenVPN Connect app on your phone. We want to import the profile we downloaded. Click on the orange + button (bottom right), and then click away from URL on to FILE. Navigate to the phone folder you stored the config file in.

7. Change the profile name if you want. For username, this is the username you use to access resources on the NAS. Try not to use the admin account (just good practise not to). Add the password. Choose whether you want to Save Password so you don’t have to type this in each time you connect.
    Click Connect after import and all being well you are now VPN’d into your NAS!

You can test this is working correctly at home:

Turn off WiFi on your phone, so you are using wireless data 3G/4G etc. Connect to the VPN via the app. Then fire up the Roon app. If it went like my install you should connect up and be able to do Roon things including play music to the phone as an endpoint!

Any questions, please ask.

2 Likes