Connecting to Core while away from home

Hi Thomas no problem! I will share with you. Keep in mind it is not supported by ROON. But as our family extends and boys en girls are spreading their wings… they would like to have ROON in their own place.

So first thing I did - I grabbed a raspberryPi3 one of the latest. And installed the latest version (image) of the Rapspberry. After config into your network. Make sure you put the RaspberryPi is in a different VLAN.

Before going further … test your VLAN…
Make sure you can connect with a ROON endpoint on that VLAN to the ROON core … (if not DONOT Go further make sure this is OKAY).

Next when all is done, you should be able to use VNC to connect to your Raspberry (keep in mind the Rpi3 needs to be in your other segment (vlan)).

Then … on your Raspberry the fun starts I used SoftEther VPN server which is a free piece of software. So install softether VPN server On your Raspberry all tutorials are on Softether.org !

A good site which i followed https://Jeffmbelt.com/raspberry-pi-l2tp-vpn-server.html

1 Like

Maybe I can send an email with a complete description. Just sent me an email request with subject Raspberry VPN to …
[Moderated: Email address removed, if you wish to share please do so via PM not in the public forum]

Hello,

Has the ‘‘accept remote connections’’ setting been removed from the latest Roon install?

I can’t find it anywhere.

Hello,

I wanted to listen to my music on my Windows 10 laptop while away from home. This is how I got it to work.

1. Used a Netgear Orbi, it supports OpenVPN. I am guessing any router which supports OpenVPN will work. I use that for my home connection.

2. Setup OpenVPN on Netgear Orbi, download Windows 10 ovpn files. Copy those files to laptop.

3. Setup OpenVPN on laptop, obtained it here https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

4. Copied the config files obtained from Netgear Orbi, copied them to the profile folder.

5. Imported the opvn file into OpenVPN, then connected. At this point disconnect, then renamed the network adapter to NETGEAR-VPN

6. Open the network adapter NETGEAR-VPN and set the address to static, same range as my internal home network. 192.168.1.x

7. Conected to VPN using OpenVPN,

8. Roon now thinks it is on the same home network, I opened it, set my audio output to my laptop and started playing music.

I have access to Internet, my home network, and Roon. I am happy with this solution at the moment. To get it working on my phone, I am going to install the software called connectify which will make my remote laptop a router, then sync my phone to it to share the VPN connection on the same subnet.

1 Like

Following up on my post above, today I wanted to get my phone to access Roon remotely while I am away from home and near my spare work laptop in the office. I connected to my home using instructions in previous post, then I:

1. Installed https://www.connectify.me/ (I purchased the lifetime license for the version which supports bridged mode).
  2. Started connectify and setup a shared Wifi connection in Bridged mode, sharing the TAP network adapter. It’s not difficult, all settings in the same page takes a few seconds.
  3. Turn on the Connectify hotpspot
  4. Connected my phone to the hotspot.

That’s it, I was connected to VPN back to my home network using the same subnet. I did spend $50 to buy a lifetime license of Connectify, but I will use it for other purposes, so it is useful. I already had a Netgear Orbi.

Having the ability to remotely access my Roon library is great. All I wanted to do is play my music while at the office. This process seems to be reliable, hasn’t given my any issues since i set it up. I have a 5MB connection at work, slow for todays standards, but the music plays smoothly.

1 Like

I agree, Plex is what I use too. I have it installed directly on the NAS and it works just great for the type of listening I tend todo while away from home (basically on Bluetooth headphones or speakers). I have even ported my Roon based playlists across to Plex, so that works beautifully. The Plex player on iOS is decent, otherwise Prism is another great choice.

1 Like

I have this working on macOS + Synology NAS + Tunnelblick VPN, if anyone want to know how. I use it every day - or at least I did when I had a reason to be away from home…

I use Plex too for video (same server), but not for audio (since I’m in the Qobuz > TIDAL camp)

I’ve got mine working using inbuilt VPN of my Unifi router. Just have to manually set Roon remote to connect to IP address of server. Shame the mobile app won’t work without wireless or could have it on mobile.

1 Like

would be interested to know how you set it up. I tried, could access the core, but not play music

I got remote connection working pretty easily with an OpenVPN server running on my QNAP NAS via the official QVPN.dpkg package.

I installed the OpenVPN client on my Android phone, along with the configuration file that the server generates and hey presto it just worked.

If anyone wants more step-by-step instructions, I’ll happily provide them.

A couple of basic transcoding options would be nice, just to cover low bandwidth situations like poor connections on trains, etc.

That’s great. I’d be interested in the step by step process. I have a QNAP as well.

Thanks so much!

Sure thing.

My setup: I have the core running on the same box: a TS-451. If your core is elsewhere on your home network, I can’t guarantee this will work as I’m not able to test it.

You will need: A Dropbox account, or some other similar way to get a locally generated file on to your mobile phone.

1. Grab the QVPN app from the App Centre. It’s a QNAP developed app.

2. QVPN is really just an aggregator for different types and brands of VPN server. We’re going to use OpenVPN.
    Here’s the config screen:

If memory serves, everything there is set up as default. DO NOT change the VPN client IP pool to be the same as your local subnet.

3. Next we’re going to download the OpenVPN config file. Click on the button, save the file preferably to a Dropbox folder on your PC.

4. On your phone, you’ll want to install the OpenVPN Connect client.

5. If you haven’t already install Dropbox on your mobile and navigate to the folder you saved the config file in. Highlight the file and in the ellipsis menu (top right) choose Save to Device. Save this in a folder on your phone such as Download.

6. Open the OpenVPN Connect app on your phone. We want to import the profile we downloaded. Click on the orange + button (bottom right), and then click away from URL on to FILE. Navigate to the phone folder you stored the config file in.

7. Change the profile name if you want. For username, this is the username you use to access resources on the NAS. Try not to use the admin account (just good practise not to). Add the password. Choose whether you want to Save Password so you don’t have to type this in each time you connect.
    Click Connect after import and all being well you are now VPN’d into your NAS!

You can test this is working correctly at home:

Turn off WiFi on your phone, so you are using wireless data 3G/4G etc. Connect to the VPN via the app. Then fire up the Roon app. If it went like my install you should connect up and be able to do Roon things including play music to the phone as an endpoint!

Any questions, please ask.

2 Likes

Hi
I have a Windows 10 PC with Roon installed. I have managed to create a network on both my work PC and my home PC using Zerotier.

I have ensured that both devices are on the same network range so we have 192.168.193.173 for my home Roon server and 192.168.193.43 fro my Work PC.

Connectivity is fine in terms of pinging but my Work PC cannot find the Roon Server at home.

Does it need any other configuration on the ZeroTier end? Bridge Mode? Any Managed Routes?

Any assistance would be appreciated :slight_smile:

It’s OK i got it working!
I had to set up the virtual network in the same range just outside of my home DHCP.
Nice free software that ZeroTier.

No way, with open vpn I cannot access to the core. Haber you got any suggestion?

OK so I have a Tp-link Archer firewall at home with various built in VPN options but for OpenVPN and PPTP.
25 years in IT and I just couldn’t get anything working since the IP Range at work always differs from home.

I have now manged to get this working remotely on my Android mobile and on my work PC (pretty much - see below) as well.

Note I have a Windows 10 PC at home running my Core and I have my Samsung S9+ Mobile and Windows 10 Work PC as clients.

This is how I did it:

1. Visit https://www.zerotier.com/ and download the software for my windows box running the core (there are many different versions for different OS’).

2. Do the same on Androd Phone and Windows 10 Client PCs.

3. Create a login on the ZeroTier website - it’s free.

4. Ensure that the DHCP range allocated on your home router excludes some IPs. In my case at home my network is 192.168.150.0/24 so I left 192.168.150.240 to 192.168.150.245 reserved and out of the DHCP range.

5. Create a “Network” on Zerotier. You are then allocated a network ID and can give it a name.
    I added a “Managed Route” of “192.168.150.0/24” to match my home network.
    I then chaged “IPv4 Auto Assign” to “Advanced” mode with a pool of IPs “Start: 192.168.150.240” “End: 192.168.150.245”.

Delete whatever defaults it puts in.

1. Next I connect the ZeroTier Android app and Windows application to the network using the Network ID and connect them.

I can now remotely control my core (or play locally) on my Android phone.

Note that as each client connects to the network you have to tick “Auth” next to the devices to enable them through the website.

Capture

From my perspective it works on my Android device flawlessly once I am connected to the ZeroTier connection.

For my Windows 10 Client it cannot find the Roon core however! when I open roon and it is searching for the core on the client PC I can RDP into my home server and see my work PC just fine. I can send audio to that. For some reason it doesn’t seem bi-directional.

If anyone has any ideas about that I would be grateful.

The Samsung client works whatever network i’m on 4G or on the work WiFI so I could just stick with that tbh.

2 Likes

I should add that it does have to be a fast 4G connection if you want it to be stable :slight_smile:

Sorted out my Work PC as well. Have Hyper-V installed and I guess it didn’t know where to route with so many network connections.

Also noticed on another thread that most of you use this method anyway.

The great thing about this solution is that you don’t need any specific hardware.

I got this working very easily. I have Unifi networking products. The USG router has its own inbuilt VPN server for direct connection from outside. I configured this which is a few simple steps and viola it works. The only issue is it want work on s phone unless your on WiFi as remote app won’t load on cellular. I tend to use the phone as wireless hotspot so it can use phone network and connect Roon endpoint to that , in this case my Hiby R5. As it’s Android I can easily configure VPN connection without additional software and it just works. You do have to manually tell the remote app the IP address of the core and then it finds it. It can’t use auto discovery as Roon won’t traverse subnets but forcing it does. Can see all my endpoints and the device I am using. Tried it on laptop this way to and worked really well.

1 Like

Hi @Martijn_Edelman! I’m trying to get this setup working. I’ve installed ZT on both my phone and laptop which hosts the Core. Both devices connect, obtain the managed IP I specified (on the same subnet as the core) but cannot ping each other (and subsequently the Core), but they do get internet. My managed route is set to my DHCP pool, and the IPs I specified aren’t in conflict anywhere. Both devices show as connected to the LAN of my router GUI with the correct IP’s. I’d really appreciate any insight! Thanks!