Connecting to Core while away from home

You can see the openvpn configuration file setting in that link you provided, specifically this line:

dev tun

Roon needs to support the assignment of a specific TCP port for port forwarding, just like JRiver does today. Until then I will use JRiver away from home. Tidal can already be accessed from any device, anywhere so there’s no connectivity issue with it. Integration is convenient, but not necessary.

Why is this not being done today? The pessimist in me thinks Roon is hoping to increase revenue, requiring people to pay for each location. It may just be unimportant enough to be a low thought on a long list.

1 Like

Using TUN-based OpenVPN works fine if you run the OpenVPN server on the same host as Roonserver, at least on Linux. Creating some local firewall rules will likely be needed. Remember to add your roon user to audio group.

If you find your Roon client sometimes not finding the server, try stopping the Roon service on the server, manually killing its hanging processes, and starting Roon service again. Client restart is sometimes needed too.

.RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt is useful for troubleshooting, and seeing when clients do connect.

Edit: I remember not getting this to work with iOS, but it has worked fine with Android Roon clients.

1 Like

I’ve been using ZeroTier to connect to Core server while out of home

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I’m kind of locked in to iOS. I’ll just continue to use JRiver for remote access, as limited as it is compared to Roon.

Thanks Marko. I’ll look into this.

12 months on and first post having started Roon trial last week-

Roon’s roadmap to offer members remote access to their libraries - and remote endpoints supporting RAAT or similar- is very much of interest.

What is the latest position and plans?
Any options better than VPN into members’ home networks?

Thanks for any news on this.

1 Like

We seems to figured out how to make software useful over internet. Need one network with VPN in tun mode that is running with one subnetwork with installed smcroute with one string in conf file /etc/smcroute.conf “mroute from tun0 group 239.0.0.0/8 to tun0” this is all secret for you guys. Don’t forget to reboot smcroute after config change!

PS the computer Core installed on is not necessarily has also to be an OpenVpn server, but he required to be part of the network.

1 Like

“Hi, honey? How are the kids?
Yeah, Japan is great, after the Friday meeting we’ll do some sightseeing before flying off to Singapore.
But I’ve got one problem, I can’t play my music.
Could you please check if the network is ok?
Not the one for the house, the separate subnet for the office and the sound system, the switch is in the closet.
And check if the Roon server is ok, if the light is on, you will have to RPC into it and look at the status logs, fire up the laptop, there is an RPC icon on the desktop, the password is Roonsecrets, all lower case after the capital R. And check the NAS as well, you can log into it from a web browser, username is Admin and the password is data1234.
I’ll wait here while you troubleshoot, and then I’ll walk you through how to fix it.
Ok, honey? Honey? Are you there? Hello? Hello?..”

11 Likes

This needs to be on the ad copy page for the Nucleus. :rofl:

1 Like

My point wasn’t about difficulty of setup (and do refrain from talking about other users and what they might know).
My point was about remote troubleshooting.
My family members are not able to troubleshoot any network.
The whole point of remote access is that I can use it when I am not in the house.

I had to stop the amp from going into deep sleep mode as my wife couldn’t press a button and count to five. So much for my energy saving purchase.

Had to keep the CD player as that is all she will use. Streaming?!

If you want to listen music away from home you don’t need your amplifier lol

What’s wrong with you? You’re misrepresenting what others are writing, is it because you can’t follow it, or because of an agenda, or personal enmity?

So I’ll spell out clearly what I meant with my little joke.

I contend that for Roon to build an away-from-home solution that depends on availability of the customer’s home server would be unsatisfactory for the customers and bad for Roon’s business.

After decades building systems for management of enterprise- or cloud-scale datacenters I know how extraordinarily difficult it is to meet availability objectives, in spite of strong financial incentives. Those systems have goals of four or five nines, and some may argue that we don’t need that: three nines is 8 hours per year, four nines is one hour per year, five nines is a few minutes per year. But they don’t achieve those goals by attempting to eliminate failures, that’s futile, they do it with resilience, containment and recovery after failures. This involves redundancy of all components, not just servers but storage and network and power and cooling. They also have staff available to deal with any failure — not on premises, of course, it’s lights-out, but remotely, which means all components need remote manageability, even the power strips.

Roon customers typically don’t have such setups, but more importantly (as I suggested in my little anecdote) we typically don’t have competent people available to repair after an outage. And that can turn a five minute outage into no music during the whole vacation.

In addition, such a home service solution goes against prevailing trends. People are using the cloud. For the reasons above, and other reasons. A fragile solution does not out-weigh advanced user interface and feature,

And finally, since you seem to have difficulty separating these discussions from the personal, it is not about whether you have the skills to operate a five-nines service, or whether I have the skills or the inclination to. It’s not about you or me. It is about the community, and the business that supports that community.

7 Likes

Why you are criticized me for solving problem at this point and flag my messages, do you think me having more power over Roon engineers than yourself? You writing to the wrong man your complaints.

I resemble this post way too much. Used to travel regularly for work and had a “lab” at home that every once in a while had a demo I needed for a client because I was still working on it before leaving and was unable to get it somewhere more stable. A few times I did have to ask my wife to play technician when the VPN stopped working or some resource decided it wanted to go offline and/or not come back from a power outage. Luckily she used to work in tech so she’d humor me for a while… as long as I didn’t start asking her to rebuild/reinstall things. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the laugh.

I agree… remote power boot, special VPNs, modems on serial ports of routers, etc. etc. just so you have a chance of bringing something back while remote is not anything I see a home user doing. Maybe it doesn’t matter for a service like Roon but for those in a relationship… if you want to stay in said relationship after you return home it’s probably better to just fix it when you get home instead of asking your partner to play Roon System Engineer. It’s another reason I always carry music with me on a SD card. Inevitably when traveling the Internet will fail. That’s a good time to revisit an album you’ve not heard in a long time and you’ll be happy you had a local copy. It’s also why I’m not as excited about remote access to Roon.

1 Like

For remote access to your home music collection, over the WWW/WAN, I would suggest to use Plex. No VPN required, just start the Plex app and it plays. Plex can usually be installed directly on the NAS or on a windows PC/Linux. The Plex integration with Tidal is also pretty decent, as it is with Roon. I assume most users don’t carry around their heavy high-end gear so for smartphones and pads it’s a great solution. It will require a Plex subscription, or lifetime license. PS! I have also installed Infuse on my iPad and can access my entire movie collection, including 4K h265 content, through the Plex server For serious listening, Roon is the obvious choice but in the year 2019 it is strange Roon hasn’t made a solution similar to Plex. It’s a service users would gladly pay for. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It seems “Roon Mobile” could mean a lot of things, and that is a problem. When I think of what makes Roon special, its mostly the UI with all the hyperlinks, graphics, metadata and Discovery capabilities. Of course, there is a huge library available (local, Qobuz, Tidal) and it can play to many disparate zones at once. In high resolution. And DSP, and …
So what do you strip out to make this possible, and at what point is it not Roon anymore? Also, how do you do it so it isn’t a Support nightmare?
If it is just getting my music, like Plex, that could be pretty simple (and frankly, that’s all I want too). But someone else might want this in their car while driving (like Tidal). And somebody else might want the whole browsing experience in their hotel room.
I’m not trying to make excuses for Roon, but I’m not sure that what I mostly want is even Roon. Plex may do just fine.

hello there - I had issues with connecting ROON to my ROONCORE on my Mac mini on my balcony - no UTP cable and poor WiFi - So I decided to add a VPNServer build on RaspberryPi3 with SoftEther VPNserver (free) and guess what - it now works for over 3 months without ANY stutter or disconnects - as long as there is an internet connection it works :slight_smile: so for as much as 69 euro’s including a linear PSU I have a ROON VPN gateway created, lately we went on Holidays and even on the plane (yes we were allowed to use WiFi) I could listen to my ROON collection on an altitude of almost 10K - and indeed if this is overkill to you go for PLEX … little different interface but good enough to listen to! have fun

Max,

I would love to replace Plex. I have seen some comments that a Pi config can work. Would you mind to share how you config it? I have installed Roon core on a dedicated Intel NUC, behind my home Router, running the Roon OS. I could easily place the PI in a dmz, however my Linux skills are so limited. I have also added a dedicted web address through the Synology DNS service.

Thanks
Thomas