Connection between two locations

Oops, I thought roon was really sophisticated

So, I’m connected to my Roon server (ZEN Mini) via VPN.
But my local playback zones (other location) are not available??? And there is no Roon ARC desktop, of course.

Then I should have saved myself the purchase of the subscription.
Can I undo this?

I’ve moved your post from the Support category to the Tinkering category, since VPNs are not a supported configuration in Roon. Community members who use VPNs hang out in the Tinkering category - you may get some suggestions from them here.

Perhaps some research before purchasing would have been wise. Not many server client systems work over a vpn as they use multicast for endpoint discovery and multicast isn’t routed over a vpn by default for good reasons. This is the case for Roon it uses multicast on specific ports for discovering devices and isn’t supported over vpn or vlans. You can get it to work but requires some in-depth networking knowledge to forward on the correct ports for discovery.

Many thanks for the hint

Unfortunately, as a customer you assume too much. Especially when all companies always act as if they can do everything. And unfortunately you also have to ask the best questions when doing research. And that, in turn, is rarely successful if you are not already too familiar with the subject matter. I didn’t want to delve too deeply into the subject. I would now have to install a 2nd Roon server. But that would be too expensive for me. Because it seems that a “simple” switch between my Zen Mini and my MacBook is not a long-term solution. Or is it perhaps not supported?
So if I use the ZenMini as a core and am at a different location every weekend and use my Mac as a server there, I don’t think that’s what the Roon team wants. Of course, they prefer to sell more server licenses. Maybe I should tell that to someone I know at Adobe… If you use Photoshop on the road instead of on your home network, you’d have to pay another fee :wink:

How can I close the topic here?

You don’t need a second Roon license if you don’t need to have both servers working simultaneously. You can just transfer the single license back and forth between the two locations. Easy to do.

This topic will close automatically 14 days after the last post.

Perhaps the “switching” can be improved with an update. Save the configurations once and then switch on/off via toggle
The moment I am back at location one with my MacBook and start Roon, the software recognizes the ZenMini and the server on the Mac is also still selected

OK, thank you very much. I had misunderstood that.
OK, that’s good enough for me. I just have to organize my audio files differently.
Or deactivate the “Roon core” on my ZENMini again and again :see_no_evil:
But somehow I can come to terms with it

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.