Connection issues with Mac M1 running Roon Server

I am also having a similar issue. Mac M1 and Mac Mini 2014. Roon server on the same machine every 30 seconds to 20 minutes wants to reconnect to the server and sometimes cannot even find the server. I have tried numerous reinstalls (ubquiti), tweaked my network settings as well as tried two different Mac’s, reinstalled the server software and it contnues to be unreliable. The same happens when I play to my NAD M10. I have no firewall on the Mac’s as it is behind my Ubquiti Dream Machine. I have activated UPnP and even Roon ARC says it is able to work. However, the software continues to be unable to reconnect. are there any ports I should forward?

I was going to put in my own support request for this but to be honest, it seems like roon has become to unreliable of late and simply isn’t worthwhile. Meanwhile, I have a Plex server running fine as well as all my other services running.

I can;t rule out that this network isn’t the issue as it is relatively new following a renovation. I stopped using roon a year ago and mistakedly didn’t cancel the subscription which I renewed in August. I thought I would give it another go while I still have access, but so far it’s not looking good. I just has a nagging concern that something is not right with my network. Or perhaps it is doing all that it should, it is preventing Roon from using ports it shouldn’t be. It just seems odd that the RAAT server on the same machine seems to stop working intermitently and brings playback to an end. Occasionally, it doesn’t restart andthe remote (on the same machine) asks for the name of the server to connect to. I assumed the server was corrupted and reinstalled (same issue reoccured) and so went to a different machine (the old machine) which worked until I had to update it and then the same issue roccrred. The log file seems to refer to an old server. Once desuthorised, how would Roon know about the old server? I thought perhaps it is trying to reconnect to the old server which of course it doesn’t find.

One thing for sure is that Roon does lots of calling home and I remember them being called out on this some time ago when Roon ARC became a thing. At the time, I thought it was OK for the feature. However, now I wonder if Roon’s internal database has data on servers which does not corroborate due to some corruption and this then results in servers for users running into issues.

This method of support is also not optimum as it exposes simple tech users to other users who are happy to troll posts - at least it used to be like that.

I wonder if I can get this working?

1 Like

What I have noticed now in the logs are attempts to connect to old versions of servers. I would have thought that when these were deauthorised they would have been removed. How can I clear any reference to these so that it just looks for the current server?

01/14 15:13:46 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Neils-MacBook-Air-8 @ 192.168.1.54:9200] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms
01/14 15:13:46 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Lounge-Mac-Mini @ 192.168.20.254:9200] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms
01/14 15:13:47 Debug: [easyhttp] [62] POST to https://api.roonlabs.net/device-map/1/register returned after 325 ms, status code: 200, request body size: 6 KB
01/14 15:13:47 Trace: [devicemap] device map updated
01/14 15:13:47 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Neils-MacBook-Air-8 @ 192.168.1.54:9200] connecting (attempt 2)
01/14 15:13:47 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Lounge-Mac-Mini @ 192.168.20.254:9200] connecting (attempt 2)
01/14 15:13:47 Warn: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] failed to connect Connection refused
01/14 15:13:47 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Neils-MacBook-Air-8 @ 192.168.1.54:9200] client connection failed. Retrying in 750ms
01/14 15:13:48 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer Neils-MacBook-Air-8 @ 192.168.1.54:9200] connecting (attempt 3)

So a development - very interesting.

1. Installed Roon Server on Synology NAS. Roon works as expected though Roon ARC does not work.

So I am completely at a loss.

Hi @Neil_Lavitt,

Thanks for writing in! I split off your replies into their own post for proper visibility. And for better troubleshooting, we’ll need to better understand your network setup:

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Are you able to share the error code you see in your Roon Settings>Arc

Here is more info that you may find helpful in regards to the Dream Machine:

Thanks for your response and I apologise for not responding earlier. This has been so frustrating and time consuming that frankly I needed some space.

My new network is a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro SE with a Cat 6 backbone network switched at the location of the server by a 16 port USW-Lite-16-PoE. The serverv machine is a Macbook Pro 14 inch M1 Pro from 2022 16Gb/1Tb and I am accessing a library on a Synology NAS - all wired ethernet. The Roon software works and find the files and its metdata though the server stops responding intermitedly and this results in the remote saying that it cannot find the server and when playing it drops the stream. Pretty cataclismic for a streaming solution. This works the same for playing on my NAD M10 as well as the local remote using the system default for playback.

At first I suspected my new network as prior to this I was running a server on a 2014 Mac Mini that worked as expected. I worked through the forums and made some changes to the Ubiquiti including enabliong UPNP, multicast and IGMP snooping a proxy. All my other services, including a Plex Server work as expected - no dropouts. I can stream my music library via BluOS - no dropouts. No change to the performance. The server actually shows that it goes into periods of not responding before coming back online. I have a video of it doing this.

So I did some experiemnting.

1. The service seems to work on mobile suggesting that the problem was network
  2. This is backed up by the fact that the issue was present on my original server (though it only started happening after I updated the server to the lastest version - it was 8 months with no use). The Mac Mini server would stop working after between 20 seconds and 10 minutes, dropping the stream, even to the local remote on the device itself BTW.
  3. A server setup in an ARM parellels VM on the Macbook Pro M1 Pro also dropped out on shared networking making me firther suspect the network.

Then… to complicate it.

1. Setup a server on my Synology NAS which is not powered enough to be a solution and it worked fine. Just was slow and started to bog down once I had my full library in place. No dropout though Roon ARC would not work.
  2. Setup a server on. Windows 10 pertition on an old Macbook Pro from 2012 that has 16 Gb of RAM. The server worked as expected, no drop outs, though then again Roon ARC would not connect and that was with the settings section saying it was configued correctly. Just would never find the server. Again, the machine is old and I susoect not powered enough to be a solution.

So there you have it. A piece of software that manay years ago was amazing for me suddenly just does not work.

I should mention that I have tried plugging the server directly into the UDM SE - no difference. I tried using wifi instead of Ethernet - no difference. I have;

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

As well as numerous other things.

I am reuctant to further mess with my network which works really well for everything else with high wifi speeds, manay devices attached though if you have other suggestions I would be happy to try them.

I was going to purchase a M2 Mac Mini for the server and get a lifetime sub this year but that is now seriously on ice. It has forced me to look for closley at PlexAmp which is suprisingly functional and frankly, remotely is very very good. Just not a patch on Roon for metadata an while you can integrate Tidal albums into lbraries, you cannot do this with Playlists.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Could I get a response please?

Hi @Neil_Lavitt,

Thanks for your detailed follow up. Condensing things down for now, your overall issue at this point seems to be connectivity based when using your 2022 MacBook pro. Are you planning/hoping to keep your server on the MacBook pro moving forward?

Lets keep your Roon Server connected directly to your router while we continue to troubleshoot.

Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Then, please lease use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

If it were to become working, I would move the server to a dedicated MacMini Server though I would want to test it working here first.

Track Playing on 24 Jan 2023

Trancesetter - Global Underground: NuBreed 1 - Antony Pappa. At 10:42:08 am AEDT time the server stopped responding and the stream dropped.

Logs have been zipped and uploaded

Video of what the screen looked like: https://youtu.be/BFlFoOIPA34 - as indicated above 10:42:08 am AEDT was the time of dropout - its a few seconds in on the video.

Hope this helps get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas @benjamin? Others in support?

Hi @Neil_Lavitt,

Thanks for your patience so far! Reviewing your Roon logs, we’re seeing websocket connectivity errors thrown around the time you experience the issue:

Trace: [push2] connected to push2 connector at ws://push-connector-v2-0.prd-roonlabs-1.prd.roonlabs.net/
Trace: [push2] exception thrown. restarting connection (net_WebSockets_ConnectionClosedPrematurely_Generic)
Trace: [push2] retrying connection in 73311ms

It’s clear that there’s a premature closure happening within the connection, causing the issue. Apologies if I’ve glazed over this, but does the same issue occur when playing audio from the system output of the Mac?

With that, are you able to set your Roon Server machine to allow network priority versus other devices on your LAN? This setting should be available without your Router settings.

Thank you for your response. I’m not sure exectly what more I can do. I have added all of what I can to prioritise the device on the network. Ubiquiti support are at a loss also. The reality is: 1. Roon Server works as expected on a Synology NAS (though in the case of mine, too slow for my track count); 2. Roon Server works as. expected on a Windows 10 BootCamp on an old 2012 Macbook Pro. However, it just will not work on two different Mac OS machines on my network. The same MacOS machines work fine on a different network.

I think I have to give up. I have Roon server now setup on the 2012 machine. I will see how it goes over time and decide from there where to go.

In the end the continuous need for Roon to call home seems to create problems. Something to watch out for.

Clke

Hi @Neil_Lavitt,

I apologize that we haven’t yet pinned down the culprit behind your issue. If you’re interested in a few more tests - does local content dropout when playing to only the system output of the Mac Mini?

And with that, if you haven’t yet, please test out updating your DNS server to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS and let me know if the same dropout pattern occurs.